ADVERTISEMENT

Winning at OSU and Gary Andersen

Beavmeister

BeaversEdge Four-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2002
To win at Oregon State you've got to have a real clear vision and plan for how you're going to go about things. This applies to who you hire as assistants, the players you recruit, as well as the offensive and defensive schemes you're going to run. There's no margin for error in Corvallis if you want to win. Everyone needs to be on the same page......players, coaches, support staff, and the administration.

Gary Andersen made a number of serious and ultimately fatal mistakes as the head coach at Oregon State. There was going to be no chance he could recover from them. He didn't screw up on purpose, and I'm sure he learned some really hard lessons. Point being, why all the infantile vitriol and hate for Gary Andersen??? He was OUR football coach and he didn't do a good job. Is that hate worthy? I get it, he split mid-season, but that deal also saved OSU millions on his contract.

I know there'll be individuals on this board who'll respond to my post and justify why coaches from Kip Taylor to Joe Avezzano, Jerry Pettibone, Mike Riley and Gary Andersen need to experience a life of ill will from us Beaver fans. Hey, they were all our guys at one point, and a number of them had no chance to win under any circumstance. Who knows what fate awaits Jonathan Smith? Will he be loved or will the followers of the Orange & Black turn on him in time like rabid dogs? Hopefully he'll be remembered in the column where Lon Stiner, Tommy Prothro and Dennis Erickson reside when his time running our grid program is over.

If Gary Andersen gets the Utah State job, I hope he does well. His failures at OSU don't merit the death penalty in my mind. Go BEAVERS!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News