ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 Recruiting Update: One down 11 to go.

Peter71

BeaversEdge Heisman
Dec 19, 2006
This last week had some interesting stories in P12 recruiting the last week:

1. Arizona is full.
Well, full-ish. I am not sure if they are taking 25 or 24 but they are at 24 now and are most likely looking to upgrade or protect who they have from being poached. They are still in it for some big fish, so if I am a DB on that list, I might also keep my options open. Also, they my be looking for some new running back help should Tilliford leave.

2. UCLA is going the wrong way. 4* defensive end Hunter Echols made his decommitment official this last week and leaves the Bruins with 3-4 recruits (depending on who you ask). While one of them is arguably one of the best players in the country they are still going backwards in recruiting. At one point they had 8 commits, all of which were 5.7 or higher. Now, they are left with some good ones, but no where near the talent they had a three short months ago. They are good at offensive line right now with JC transfer Ronald Rudd and 4* prep star Kanan Ray. I don't think UCLA will finish the year with 4 players, but they are in a weird position having a lot of their A list guys take off and look elsewhere. While many top programs like USC and the piles of garbage have seen their recruitment pick up and build momentum, UCLA has not. History says they will finish well and probably in the top 15 in the country. Right now, they are 73rd and that is over 40 points lower than

3. Colorado is doing really well. I know that they are probably close to the end of the MacIntyre era should the Buffalos stumble badly this year, he is at least getting a class that should help cool off his seat. Picking up two commits today, the Buffaloes are sitting at 16 commitments, with 2 four star, and 9 who are 5.6 or higher. They have gotten a few role players lately, and some projects, but I think they are getting a very good class together. If they can keep the guys they have and land a few of the defensive players they are in the mix for, this could be their best class of MacIntyre's time at Colorado.

4. What is the deal with WSU? I know there was some angst about WSU and some of the players going there that are Beaver targets. One thing to remember is that we literally do nothing like that team. While I think our coaching staff and theirs have a lot of similarities in terms of competitive spirit and drive, what WSU offers in terms of offense and defense is entirely different than what we offer. Losing guys like Hodgins and Watson is tough, but what they are looking for in an offense and defense is different than what guys like Taylor and Hayes. We tend to feel like their remoteness and small town feel makes us similar, but we are closer to Utah, Stanford, UCLA and ASU in what we do than we are to WSU. WSU, Cal, the ducks and Arizona are different teams with different needs than Oregon State.

I understand that we are going to want similar athletes, but if you are going to play defense for WSU, you have to be ok with being scored on all the time and being on the field all day. If you are going to play defense for the Beavers, you have to be prepared to get a stop every time and to have an offense that is going to protect you. Both want big, fast and aggressive, but the mentalities are different for sure.

Anyway, that is what i have seen the last week. We are just a few weeks from fall camp and things will start to really heat up again in recruiting. I am not sure if we will have any other good news between now and then, but right now, sitting at 13 recruits, the Beavers have some key pieces to their future in line and just need to get a few more while circling the wagons around what we have. It will only get more exciting, that is for sure!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News