ADVERTISEMENT

Lingering Sunday AM thoughts

mciaffoni

BeaversEdge Super Blue-Chip
Jan 7, 2007
--The tributes to the 42 Rose Bowl team were pretty cool. Well done.
- I was initially skeptical of the gray helmet but with the gray socks and undershirt, it looked good.
- By far the best half of football I had seen at home since 2012 vs Cal. The offense I thought played pretty well most of the night, but like Jim Wilson said, they didn't play well when they needed it most.
We needed the offense to do SOMETHING at two key points: the first being after WSU's failed fake punt. I think if the Beavs get 7 there, it is as close to a nail in the coffin as we could get. The whole momentum shifted after that. The second point was obviously at the end where we had two chances to get one yard and didn't.
- Had WSU lost, Leach would have, and should have been held to the fire for this choice to go for it on fourth down. That was idiotic considering our lack of production most of the second half.
- I initially thought the Beavs got the three worst spots I've seen in a while on their late fourth quarter drive. It looked like Hernandez had the first down on the throw. They marked Nall as losing yardage on third down. Then the fourth down spot. Initially, I thought he had it, then on the jumbotron replay, I thought nall looked short, but when I saw it again this morning, I think Nall got hosed.

- I know the OC will get heat for throwing the ball too much in the third quarter (7 of 9 plays were passes), and they do deserve it, but when we did run the ball in the second half, it was pretty ineffective. WSUs D-line and LBs did a good job in that regard. Then it was all about putting pressure on MM.

- Targeting? Like someone posted on Twitter, why doesn't everyone go into a slide motion right before they are hit? 15 free yards all over the place.
- The refs did not lose the game for us, but they certainly did not help. The bogus targeting penalty being one, generous spots another, and then the running into the kicker, which should have been roughing (they hit the kicking leg while it was extended which is the definition of roughing).
- Why didn't WSU get any "simulated movement" penalties like we have had this year when their D-line would move??
- Brandon Arnold. JUMP!!!!!!! How that was not intercepted, or at least batted down was beyond me.
- The WSU receivers are really really good.

--We are close!! 3 of our losses this year are by a combined 16 points. This reminds me of the 1998 team, which finished 5-6, but only 2-6 in conference. That team had a really soft non-conf schedule which if this year's squad would have had, we would be sitting at 4-4 right now. Still, that 1998 team played a bunch of close games in conference but didn't get over the hump much. I think we are at a similar point.

- This got me to thinking about what we need. Unlike last year, where we needed a bunch of talent, I think with some key additions, this team can get over. To me this team needs: an improved pass rush, bigger LBs, another game breaker at WR, and slightly better QB play than what we saw last night.

Reactions: MKBeav
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News