ADVERTISEMENT

Wow. DeCarolis stepping down in June

TAMATRIX

BeaversEdge Super Blue-Chip
Nov 24, 2004
http://www.osubeavers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210084291&DB_OEM_ID=30800

It is with heartfelt emotion that I announce I am stepping down as Director of Athletics at Oregon State University effective June 30, 2015. As a next step, I look forward to my upcoming adventures in the world of intercollegiate athletics.

There is never an optimal time for decisions like this, especially after an incredible journey of 17 years.

I am very proud of the coaches I have hired and retained over the years and believe this is the best group of coaches in the history of Oregon State both from a coaching standpoint and also from a measure of character, as well. This collection of coaches will continue to compete for championships in the toughest conference in the country.

Oregon State teams have had unprecedented success over the last 12 months. Here are some of the highlights:

• Baseball was the No. 1 seed in the 2014 NCAA tournament for the first time ever.
  • Women’s Basketball won the 2014-2015 Pac-12 Conference title for the first time.
  • Women’s Volleyball advanced to the “Sweet 16” for the first time ever in 2014.
  • Men’s basketball won a school-record 14 consecutive home games.
  • Wrestling won the 2015 Pac-12 Conference title for the fourth consecutive year.
  • Men’s soccer won its first ever postseason match in 2014.
  • Gymnastics went to the NCAA postseason for the 41st year in a row.
  • Women's golfer Anica Yoo is the second Beaver to ever play in NCAA National Championships.
  • To date, three coaches have been honored as Pac-12 Conference Coaches of the Year in 2014-15 – a school record.
Fundraising efforts for athletics, thanks to our loyal donors, and deserving coaches and programs, is trending to be at an all-time high. Beaver Nation is stepping up and making an extraordinary commitment. As a result, the university athletic physical plant has undergone major transformation over the course of the last 15 years.

Facilities built during my time at OSU include the following:

• The Truax Center
  • The OSU Softball Complex
  • The Whyte Track and Field Center (Phase I)
  • The Beth Ray Center for Academic Support
  • The OSU Basketball Center
  • The Sports Performance Center
  • The Dale Thomas Wrestling Facility
  • The Samaritan Athletic Medicine Center
  • The Ossey Golf Center
  • The OSU Boathouse

Additionally, the construction of the “Victory through Valley” project, which adds 50,000 sq. ft. to the existing building, starts at the conclusion of the upcoming football season. This project will increase the investment in the athletic physical plant to more than $220M since the year 2000.

In addition, in my tenure the following renovations and expansions have occurred:

• Reser Stadium
  • Coleman Field at Goss Stadium
  • Gill Coliseum
  • Tommy Prothro Football Complex
All told, these new facilities, renovations and expansions have enabled Oregon State student-athletes to practice and compete at the Pac-12 and national level.

To be successful in the world of intercollegiate athletics the department must have support from the top. I want to personally thank President Ed Ray for his support, leadership and partnership in respect to the success of the athletic programs at OSU.

I also want to express my deepest gratitude to the student-athletes for all your hard work and efforts over the years. It has been awe inspiring to watch you develop athletically, academically, and socially. My days in the office were always driven by what was best for you on the field, court, river, course, pool and track as well as in the classroom. I wish you the best during your time at OSU and beyond. I proudly say it’s been my honor to be a Beaver because of all of you.

“People make the place” and I believe I have the best coaches and support staff in the country! I have thoroughly enjoyed working with all of you and supporting you and your teams. Not only are you great coaches but quality people and that is why I am so proud to have worked with you. Your hard work and dedication has translated into truly remarkable accomplishments over the years and I know you will continue to be successful in all aspects both on and off the playing fields. OSU Athletics is well positioned to continue to compete at the conference and national level due to all of you.

I would like to extend a passionate thank you to Beaver Nation. Thank you for being a part of our team and supporting our outstanding student-athletes, coaches and staff with your philanthropy and unwavering enthusiasm. We couldn’t have done it without you!

I have been extremely fortunate to have spent the last 17 years at Oregon State University. My family and I thank you for the opportunity, your support and friendship. I also want to thank the community of Corvallis; you were right when you said Corvallis is a great place to raise your family. We have enjoyed our time supporting the Beavers and will cherish the memories. We wish you all the best and GO BEAVS!

Reactions: supaspe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News