ADVERTISEMENT

Willie Taggart?

HardRockfan1

Dec 6, 2014
Springfield, OR
I have seen two confirmed reports that Willie Taggart, Head Coach at USF, is a "strong candidate" to replace Helf.

https://campusinsiders.com/news/willie-taggart-strong-candidate-oregon-job-11-30-2016/

Is this the best that Oregon thinks that they can do? He has been a head coach at Western Kentucky for 2 years and at USF from 2013 to present. He worked with Harbaugh as a running backs coach at Stanford in 2006. His total record at Western Kentucky was 16-20. His total record at his current job is 24-25 and 0-1 in bowls.

He was an exceptional quarterback in high school and played at WKU.

When you do some digging you don't see the words "innovator, progressive, creative, novel, avante garde, experiemental" or anything like that....

I don't know the ins and outs of college football. But I know good ole Chip came from tiny UNH.
Apparently Taggart is young, a great recruiter, and can win a room and loves the press. His teams adapt every year. He went from a power run smashmouth to a "gun run pass option" kinda thing.

Here is what I want to know from you. Is this a good hire for Oregon? He's probably better than Helf but I find it hard to believe that their phone isn't ringing off the hook with coaches we don't know about. Coaches with a much better name and resume'. I know Oregon always says "we're different" but I would think that this head coaching job is a must win for Mullens, seems odd that they would go this direction....
I remember when our own opening produced GA and no one knew he had reached out. Seems like they are locked onto this guy....
Thoughts?? Mike any inside intel?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News