ADVERTISEMENT

what changed in the 4th quarter?

marty9630

BeaversEdge Two-Star Recruit
Gold Member
May 4, 2011
I am ecstatic about this win. I write this post with a little hesitation for I do not want to rain on our parade, if you will. That game was by far the best game these kids have played in three years. Even in the 4th quarter the kids were technically sound and playing with a high level of enthusiasm. Our kids could not have played better in this game and yet there they were fighting for their lives to pull off the win in OT. Normally we would fall back on the fact that the D was tired because they were on the field too long because our O would go 3 and out too much. Can't say that now. Or our tackling was poor. Can't say that now. Or they weren't lined up right or blew a coverage, Cant say that now., etc. So what happened when we were 17 points up with 7:01 left in the 4th quarter? IMHO, I think we changed our D scheme. We over-compensated for the probability of the pass, leaving (literally, nobody in the middle of the field) to attest the run. (Repeatabley)
A team that is clawing its way up from the bottom of the division can't find itself squandering opportunities and/or trying to overcome coaching misjudgments. I applaud the OC for FINALLY running to set up the pass (what took so long)?........ Really, what took so long? I scratch my head when we are throwing from our own 20 yard line with 54 seconds left in the 1/2. Or (during the 1st drive) you have pounded to ball running relentlessly and then start throwing when you get inside the red zone and end up taking a field goal. When we are dominating the way we were on the front line, I also wonder why we throw on 1st down AT ALL. Why go 2nd and 10 when you can be predictably 2nd and 4? I also applaud the DC for his game plan through 3 1/2 quarters. I especially liked the "in your face" man coverage on their receivers. (vs playing zone and sitting off the line with a 12 yard cushion). But........................
I hope our coaches learn from this game because we won't always have a 17 point cushion to play with as they "figure it out".

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News