ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Report Thursday Practice Nuggets

Brenden Slaughter

BeaversEdge Heisman
Staff
Aug 27, 2016
Sherwood, Oregon
With their matchup against Minnesota just two days away, the Oregon State football team practiced inside the friendly confines of Reser Stadium to prepare them for their 7:00 p.m. matchup against Minnesota on Saturday night. BeaversEdge.com was in Corvallis and has the scoop from Brenden Slaughter.

-Based on our viewing spot from inside Reser Stadium today, we didn’t get to see much defense as the offense was on display for us.

-The Beaver offense was primarily focused on the air attack during the portion of practice open to the media. Jake Luton was throwing the ball downfield early and often, finding Noah Togiai and Isaiah Hodgins with regularity. It appears to me that Hodgins is becoming a solid target for Luton along with Togiai. Hodgins caught three or four passes either in the end-zone or near the goal line that he ran in for the score.

-OSU was also working on the hurry up/up-tempo offense today. Given how comfortable Luton looked in the two minute drill, it might be in the best interest of the Beavers to play with more of a pace. Luton looked solid today hitting receivers in short, medium, and deep passes. There is still room for improvement from Luton as he overthrew and misfired on several passes.

-Speaking of Luton, he was throwing the ball quicker today. He went through his 1st and 2nd read and threw the ball. The emphasis was on him getting the ball out quicker today and he did a very good job doing so.

-Darell Garretson showed more of his arm today compared to the past few practices. Garretson had been mostly used as a running quarterback, but today we saw him throwing the ball more so than weeks past. He was solid throwing the ball today, but needs to be more consistent. He’d make a really nice throw one play, but then throw a duck two or three plays later. If Garretson can get consistent throwing the ball, the Beavers have even more options when he comes in at QB.

-OSU’s front seven is continuing to impress me as they have all week. They were flying to the ball today and playing with a lot of physicality. The back end is still struggling with consistency as Jalen Moore was beat deep by the scout team offense. The Beavers have really struggled with allowing receivers to get behind their safeties and if OSU’s defense is going to improve, it has to start with better play in the back end

-Noah Togiai might have had the highlight play of practice today as he was able to make a one-handed catch from Jake Luton that he was able to tip to himself for a score.

-During last Saturday’s game against Portland State, the Beavers ran some extended running back pitch plays, and OSU was practicing them today as well. I really like the design of these plays as the Beavers can get their talented running backs in space to make plays.

-In terms of injury news, Manase Hungalu was a full go at practice today. I didn’t see Seth Collins or Titus Failauga practice in the session of practice open to the media.

-In terms of OSU’s offensive line, they looked a lot better at run blocking today. They were focused on holding their blocks longer and holding those running lanes open longer.

-OSU piped in crowd noise today to simulate what Reser Stadium will sound like on Saturday night. The noise was aimed towards the 1st team defense side of the field.

-For those Oregon State football players who hadn’t experienced rain in Oregon during their time in Corvallis, they can now. The Beavers practiced in Reser Stadium for the duration of practice, and for about 45 mins of the hour and a half session, the Beavers were playing in the pouring rain. It was so odd to see it rain so hard in September in Corvallis.

-Weather update: Thanks the rain, and favorable winds, Corvallis saw blue skies post practice today. Given the amount of smoke around the region, it was a welcome sight to see that the sky truly is blue. Today is also the first day where it wasn’t annoying or uncomfortable to breathe outside. Given all that, fans can rest assured that everything weather wise should be near perfect come Saturday.

-The Beavers broke out the 11 strong helmets today in practice minus the Beaver decal and I must say, these helmets are really really cool. The matte black look looks really good close up and it’s clear to me that the players are very excited to put these uniforms on.

Gary Andersen Video

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News