ADVERTISEMENT

Football Three things we learned from Saturday

Shoveller

BeaversEdge Heisman
Jan 24, 2002
1. BEAVER DEFENSE: Rommel Mageo continues to get better and better. He led the team with 11 tackles (almost double the next highest total) and looked sharp in pass defense. He will take the Giantkiller Award this week. Mageo and an effective pass rush held Weber State to 0-13 conversions on 3rd down, no points, and zero trips to the red zone. This is a defense that lost 8 starters to graduation, and we're getting an early glimpse of Sitake's style and value. Sure, Weber State is lousy on offense, but the numbers are admirable no matter how you slice it.

2. BEAVER OFFENSE: Michigan is going to put seven in the box and shut down the running game and put pressure on the quarterback with blitzes. The RBs and TEs will need to block effectively or get open quickly, and Collins should be prepared for a lot of short pass plays. The home run opportunities will be hard to find next week, and I hope our freshman QB is patient. It's been mentioned in other threads, but Smith and Clute will play a bigger role against the Wolverine Defense. I like Brown and Barr-Woods in the passing game as well. Let's hope the offensive line continues to gel.

3. PAC-12 SLOW OUT OF THE GATE: Aside from Utah and UCLA the Pac-12 is stumbled out of the gate. Colorado, Stanford, Arizona State, Washington State, and Washington either lost to programs outside the Big Five Conferences or lost to teams they were favored to beat. Obviously Oregon State, oregon, UCS, Cal, and Arizona beat small-division programs.

SIDE NOTE: It was an entertaining day in college football. The loss by Nebraska wasn't a surprise to many of us in the Lodge since underwhelming starts are traditional. Riley will bounce back, and I'll give their fans credit for not burying Riley after that loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News