ADVERTISEMENT

This week...

Rostel

BeaversEdge Two-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2015
Opening game week becomes one of my least productive weeks of the year...in terms of work. Today I find myself looking at the UM depth chart and comparing match ups with our projected starters. I fear this will spiral into an out of control time suck throughout the week. I love that we have a power 5 match up to start the season. I know that many fans feel better about playing cupcakes out of the gate and I understand their reasoning. For me however, the intrigue of playing P5 team brings meaning to the season right away and gives the team an opportunity to make a statement in week 1.

The downside of a loss is far less than the upside of a win. We are 13 point dogs on the road in a different time zone. We are supposed to lose.....but....when I look at the match ups I see a gopher team with an undersized defensive line that we should match up well against. They do have length and athleticism but I like our size and strength at the point of attack. Their line backers are experienced but on the lighter side...Nall & Cook will have an opportunity to wear this group down as the game progresses. If we keep it close or can find a lead late in the game we should be able to take the air out of the ball.

On the other side of the ball their line is huge. We have some young guys that match up from a size standpoint but it will be a workout for sure. Their QB is a big guy as well. he can run and throw so we will need to keep him contained. He played last year injured but reports are that he is 100% healthy at this point. Keeping him under constant pressure will be a key component for our defense. Their top TE is out for this game and is replaced with what amounts to predominately blocking TE (6'10 275lb Nate Wozniac) who only caught 8 passes all of last year. This should provide us with some additional blitzing opportunities. Ther receivers are lengthy. I don't think we get beat by speed here but their long arms will create bigger targets for their QB. One of their top RBs is out for the game but the other guy is solid. The back up will be a first year JC transfer that is a big boy (6'1 235lb Kobe McCrary).

I think this game comes down to turnovers and special teams. If we can protect the ball and get a couple big plays from our return guys we will keep it close. If we can force a few turnovers especially on their side of the field then I like our chances.

Take the points! This should be a closer game than many expect. Go Beavs!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News