ADVERTISEMENT

This draft says it all

JTBeaver

BeaversEdge All-American
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2003
Sioux Falls, SD
I know there are some who want to move on from the Riley era, so I apologize in advance, but I couldn't let this pass without comments.

I think the draft this weekend is the epitome of what Beaver fans have gone through the past 12 years and what Nebraska fans have to look forward too. The Beavs had 4 players drafted from their defense (Steven Nelson, DJ Alexander, Ryan Murphy and Obum Gwachum), had arguably their best player signed immediately after the draft (Dylan Wynn, who most have no doubt will stick on a roster), had another D starter sign right after the draft (Ty Zimmerman), and had 2 other multi-year senior starters at LB. That tells you this defense was LOADED with talent, not just in Beaver fans minds. Yet it was one of the worst defenses in the Pac 12. Find me another defense in college football (maybe in college football history) that had at least 6 senior NFL caliber starters on it that was as ineffective as the Beavers D last year.

For people (Beaver fans, Husker fans and media pundits) who keep saying Riley and Banker will have a better caliber of athlete with which to work at Nebraska so their schemes will work better; you may want to rethink that. When was the last time Nebraska had 6 defensive players go to the NFL in the same class? It was the coaching, not the players!!

I think it also should give Beaver fans even more reason for optimism this coming year. I'm saying the team will be challenging for the Pac 12 title, but there is a lot more talent on this team than the previous staff was showing. I'll say it again, 6 SENIOR NFL PLAYERS ON YOUR DEFENSE, and you're one of the worst defenses in the conference. Let that sink in for minute! That's just horrible, horrible, incompetent coaching!!

OK, now I can officially move on to Gary Andersen and the current staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News