ADVERTISEMENT

Report Card: Oregon State's 2017 Defensive Signees

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
As promised, I will give my honest opinion about Oregon State's 2017 recruiting class. Remember, this is just one man's opinion.

Click here to read my report card on the offensive signees

Defensive lineman - Craig Evans, Josh Bowcut

Oregon State already had a pretty deep defensive line, so bringing in Craig Evans was just a big cherry on the top of the cake. He is not enrolled right now, so he won't be able to practice this spring, which sucks, honestly. But Evans should be able to quickly learn the defense, and I think he will be a plug and play starter at defensive tackle in the 3-4.

Bowcut has a high upside, and I think he makes a lot of sense as an LDS mission recruit. Being an in-state kid, he is highly likely to want to play at Oregon State after his two year mission and should come back a very large human being. Honestly, if he wasn't an LDS recruit, then I wouldn't have him on scholarship right away, but that's just me.

Grade: A

Craig Evans is the biggest get for the Beavs. Awesome job by Gary Andersen and staff.

Linebackers - Kesi Ah-Hoy

Ah-Hoy is listed as a running back on his Rivals profile but will play ILB for the Beavs. I think he's a pretty decent player, but I don't think he's a stud ILB. Back in December, Gary Andersen said that they'll take a talented ILB if they come across one (paraphrased). I think Ah-Hoy is a good player, but I need to see more of him at ILB before I get excited about him.

David Morris is listed on his Rivals profile as an outside linebacker, but he will play in a strong safety role at OSU. OSU is loaded at linebacker, especially after their big OLB haul in 2016. Hopefully the Beavs do not have injury after injury at LB in 2017 like they did in 2016.

Grade: C

Cornerbacks - Kaleb Hayes, Justin Gardner, Isaiah Dunn

I do not see any of these guys as early contributors this fall. I think Gardner and Dunn will redshirt, and I think there's a chance Hayes sees the field as a freshman. While I don't think these three will make an impact as true freshman, I do think they have very high upside. I'm a really big fan of Hayes. Gardner is just scratching the surface, and I like Dunn's athleticism.

Grade: B-

Ask me about this group in a couple of years. It could be an A at that point.

Safeties - Trajon Cotton, Jeffrey Manning, Charles Watson, David Morris

When Gary Andersen talks about winning "big boy" recruiting fights, these four safeties are a perfect example of that. Cotton had a long offer list and the Beavs beat out Oregon, Nebraska, and Colorado to land him. Watson was down to BYU and OSU before he committed, and Manning was a former UCLA commit. Morris was offered by Utah late but didn't consider them. I think Morris has the best chance to play as a freshman of this group. I also really like Charles Watson. Honestly, I think Cotton is a bit overhyped, and I think Manning will take some time to develop.

Grade: A

Just like OSU loaded up at OLB in 2016, they loaded up at safety in 2017. This is a great young group with a lot of versatility. Manning and Watson could both play cornerback, and Morris could play outside linebacker or heck - even running back. Cotton played quarterback in high school.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News