ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: By the Numbers

angie machado

BeaversEdge Heisman
Feb 2, 2006
It is almost April, and Oregon State has 1 current commit for the 2017 class. I've spoken to several Blitzer's over the past week or two who have expressed concern, so I decided to break down where other programs are right now. I too thought things seemed slow in recruiting until I broke down the numbers.

UCLA: 6
Stanford: 5
USC: 4
Arizona: 3
UW: 2
ASU: 2
Colorado: 2
Oregon: 2
Utah: 1
Cal: 1
WSU: 1
OSU: 1

It isn't a shock that UCLA leads the PAC in current commits. They are in a talent rich area and traditionally do very well on the recruiting trail. Stanford also does well, although in the mid-fall some of those commits will fall by the wayside as they are denied admission.

The majority of the conference is sitting at 1-2 commits (eight programs in fact). This reiterates the earliness of the cycle and the fact that most programs are in the midst of Spring Camp.

For Oregon State I will say that they are working hard to get some of their top prospects to campus on unofficial visits during Spring Camp. That is big, but it can be tough since most of the top prospects need to travel to check things out. The staff is expecting several more visitors for the Spring Game in mid-April as well.

The Beavers staff also has an uphill battle to climb after the 2-10 season, however the class that they brought in and held onto for 2016 is a top 40 class. They have shown a good ability to sell the vision of the program and close very strong.

The next two months will be important. I would expect that the Beavers have 3-4 commits by the end of May if progress stays on the current trend.

Locking up a QB (Tyler Lytle) should be priority #1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News