ADVERTISEMENT

Re-Tool or Re-Align?

HardRockfan1

Dec 6, 2014
Springfield, OR
Now that Spring Ball is fast approaching it is hard not to want to be optimistic. Remember last year? We had come off of a historic beat down of the Ucks, not a bad recruiting class, and we were all thinking that 6 or more wins was coming.

And then the season happened and even though I try to erase it from my mind it still happened.

So here comes another brand new coaching staff and another Spring game. Thank god it is later this year, last year was a rain squall followed by wind.

So here is my conundrum. Are the coaches going to have to re-tool this team as it is right now or do they realign? I will lay out a few thoughts but would like you all to chime in!

Re-Tool:
This means that the previous regime didn’t know a damn thing about what D1 or Pac-12 talent looked like or played like and the new coaches have to start from the ground up. We are looking at building for the next 1-3 years and some players not deemed D1 worthy may transfer.

ReAlign:
This means that most of the talent was there, the coaches dysfunction and scheme were incorrect and within a short period of time like one recruiting cycle our new staff can correct it and move forward

So here are my thoughts:

Offensive Line: ReAlign.
The talent with the exception of an incoming center is there. There are kids coming up through the system that will be good if not great. Scheme stunk last year and Coach M was one of the best hires for this staff.

Quarterbacks: ReTool
What ever the previous staff thought they were doing with this critical position, it was bad. We watched it play out over and over last year. Talent was asked to leave or just found the door. This will be a critical need in the 2019 class.

Running Backs: ReAlign
The previous staff was clueless to know how to use the embarrassment of talent we had last year. With AP, Tyler, Jefferson and others I like this group and once Coach M gets the O line fixed this could be a fun group to watch.

Wide Receivers/ TE: ReTool
I really struggled with this group as I like the guys in the position but what it came down to for me is that the new staff immediately went after more WR. There is talent there, but the QB dysfunction of the previous staff also made a stop here. We need more speed and especially height.

Defensive Line: ReTool
I know the previous staff was clueless here but so was the talent. Even if Craig Evans played last year I don’t think it makes a difference. We need guys that are 6’2” and 290 walking in the door who have a high motor and I am hoping that Hodgins and Reichner will help, we need an infusion of talent here. The 3-4 scheme is awful without excellent D linemen to take up space for the LBs to disrupt and make plays.

Linebackers: ReAlign
The talent is there, the coaching wasn’t. I like the group we have and I think Tago sees the field this year. I have very high expectations for this group this year.

DB: ReTool
I was really torn on this group. The tackling was abysmal but hey the scheme right? The coaching is where this started. I think. As I scan the roster I think we have what we need but again I go back and forth on this group. So for now, I think we need some more talent. A lot more talent. I want to see how the new staff does with this group.

Safeties: ReAlign
David Morris was one of the previous staff’s success stories. That young man strait up balled last year in a horrible situation. I like where this group is at, bu that doesn’t mean we don’t need more talent. Like the LB group, I have high expectations of this group this year as well. Morris needs to get healthy of course but I still like this group.

So as a whole, we have 4 ReTool and 4 Realign. What does that mean for this staff? Back to the basics of teaching the game and recruit like hell.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News