ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Report Quarterbacks get loose in Tuesday's practice

BeaversEdge.com Staff

BeaversEdge Verbal
Staff
Aug 29, 2016
Corvallis, Oregon
By Brenden Slaughter

After injuries to quarterbacks Darell Garretson and Conor Blount, the Beavers are down to their third string quarterback Marcus McMaryion as they prepare to take on the undefeated No. 5 Washington Huskies in Seattle this Saturday.

While McMaryion doesn’t have a ton of in game experience for the Beavers this season, he has been staying sharp off the field due to an unorthodox method. Virtual Reality.

“We have a VR system that I use quite a bit,” McMaryion said. “It’s like I’ve been playing quarterback as if I’ve been taking every single rep. So I’ve been using it quite a bit to help me stay locked in and engaged in all the play calls that we have.”

Practice Nuggets
  • Seth Collins, Marcus McMaryion, and Mason Moran all took reps at quarterback. From what I could tell, McMaryion looked the most poised and comfortable in the pocket.
  • When Collins was in at QB, they focused on moving him around a lot, and he did a nice job on some rollouts. He hit the receivers in stride and looked like he didn’t have any rust from not playing quarterback since last year

• Moran was definitely the weaker of the quarterbacks today. He was never really able to find rhythm within the offense, and air-mailed a couple throws that were not on target. In addition there was one time where he threw into double coverage and was intercepted by Treston Decoud.

• Former Utah State quarterback and quarterback quality control assistant Chuckie Keeton was running the scout team today.

• McMaryion looked really good in terms of presence in the pocket. He had great footwork, and looked extremely comfortable within the offense. There was one play in particular where he threw across his body to Xavier Hawkins and the pass was right on the money

• Tim Cook continues to impress me. With Ryan Nall out of practice with an injury, Cook was getting reps with the 2’s and he was running as well as I’ve seen him run all season.

• Paul Lucas got some reps with the 2’s at the running back position today. He didn’t make any big plays in practice, but he was only one or two tackles away from breaking away for a big run.

• Final Spin: McMaryion was the best quarterback today far and away. The Beavers will be in good hands with him at the helm. He has poise, moxy, and swagger.
Injury Notes
Nall, who reinjured his foot against Utah was in a boot today, and said he is not sure if he will play against Washington.

“I haven’t ruled out playing this weekend against the Huskies,” Nall said. “I’m going to talk with the trainers and doctors and see what they think, but I’m taking it day by day.”

Tight end Ricky Ortiz and wide receiver Victor Bolden were both in red no contact jerseys today.

Final Word

“I've got faith in (Pierce and Cook for sure). (The Huskies) are going to feel all of (Cook) for sure this weekend,” Nall said. “I am excited to see what they got. I’ve seen AP get out there and get loose, but I’m excited to see what (Cook) can do. He has some opportunities this year, but this is gonna be his time to shine.”
====================

Reactions: BeavsRule79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News