ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Report Quarterback controversy?

BeaversEdge.com Staff

BeaversEdge Verbal
Staff
Aug 29, 2016
Corvallis, Oregon
By Brenden Slaughter

After losing to the Stanford Cardinal in Palo Alto last week, the Beavers took to the practice field today trying to fix their anemic scoring offense. Outside of Victor Bolden’s 75 yard touchdown from Marcus McMaryion, the Beavers were unable to mount anything successful in the passing game.

“There were still some good things that came out of the Stanford game,” co-offensive coordinator Kevin McGiven said. “I told the offense yesterday - 15 points is never where you want to be at as an offense. However, when you look at Stanford, only two teams all year have scored more 13 points against Stanford’s defense. While it may not meet our expectations, you can show guys that you are pretty close.

Those offensive struggles led to coach Gary Andersen saying in his Monday press conference that true freshman Conor Blount will be splitting time with McMaryion this Saturday against UCLA.

McGiven noted that because Blount got reps before he was hurt, that now that he is healthy he deserves to get back out of the field given that he is now 100 percent healthy.

Regardless of who is in at quarterback for the Beavers, it doesn’t change the mindset of the team.

“(Blount) showed against Boise State that he has what it takes,” wide receiver Timmy Hernandez said. “He came in and brought us back in that game, I think we can rally behind him.”

“To me, it really doesn’t matter who is in there at QB,” offensive lineman Fred Lauina said. “We have practiced with all them, and to me it all feels the same with whoever is in there. Against Boise State (Blount) came in strong with confidence and that’s what I like about him. He is strong and has confidence and that is what we need right now.”

With the Beavers heading down to L.A. this weekend to take on UCLA, another opportunity for a win presents itself, as the Bruins have struggled mightily this season after being picked to win the Pac-12 south. The Bruins have been decimated by injuries so far this season, with sophomore quarterback Josh Rosen out for the season. But the Bruins defense has still been their strength.

“They are a good defense and they rely on their athleticism a lot,” McMaryion said. “Obviously they have some of the best athletic defensive ends in our conference. They play with a ton of confidence and swagger so we are going to have to play our A game.”

Final Word
“Whether it is me or (McMaryion) we try and feed off each other,” Blount said. “There is ultimately one goal and that is to win. Coach Andersen always preaches that this is a business where you have to win and that’s what it’s about. So whoever can get the win and however we get the win is most important.”

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News