ADVERTISEMENT

QB Drive Results

beaverbait

BeaversEdge All-American
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2011
Long post coming. So I've been thinking about the QBs today and I went back to the play-by-play to see how our QBs are doing and what the results of them playing have been.

Blount vs. Ohio State
  • Drive 1: 2-3 passing, Bradford takes a short pass the distance for a TD
  • Drive 2: 1-2 passing, two PI calls, sack, PUNT
  • Drive 3: 2-3 passing, sack, PUNT
  • Drive 4: OSU starts with the ball on the 24. 1-2 passing. Missed FG.
  • Drive 5: 1-1 passing, sack, PUNT
  • Drive 6: 1-2 passing, PUNT
  • Drive 7: 0-0 passing, sack fumble, TD OHIO STATE
  • Drive 8: 4-6 passing, great catch by Hodgins on 3rd down, 30 yard run on 3rd & 19 by Jefferson, Nice throw to Bradford TD

Blount vs. Southern Utah
  • Drive 1: 2-3 passing, 43 rush yards from Pierce, FG
  • Drive 2: 2-3 passing, 12 rush yards for Blount, Jefferson TD
  • Drive 3: 2-3 passing, wide open pass to Smalls, Pierce TD
  • Drive 4: 3-4 passing, Jefferson and Pierce get last 46 yards, long Jefferson TD
  • Drive 5: 3-4 passing, all Blount, great pass to Bradford TD
  • Drive 6: 0-0 passing, 1 play Jefferson 62 yard TD
  • Drive 7: 2-3 passing, sack, pooch PUNT
  • Drive 8: 0-1 passing, drive starts at the SUU 32, FG
Total: 16 drives, 9 scoring drives, 1 turnover, 5 punts,

Luton vs Ohio State
  • Drive 1: 1-1 passing, OSU gets into Ohio State territory, drive ends after a fumble by Jake
Luton vs. Southern Utah
  • Drive 1: 2-4 passing, 48 yard FG Miss
  • Drive 2: 0-2 passing, I believe 3rd down pass hit Flemings in the chest, PUNT
  • Drive 3: 1-2 passing, PUNT
  • Drive 4: 0-0 passing, Jefferson FUMBLE
  • Drive 5: 0-1 passing, all Jefferson drive TD
  • Drive 6: 1-1 passing, mostly run it down to the SUU 8, END OF GAME
Total: 7 drives, 3 "scoring" drives, two turnovers, 2 punts

For the record, I'm counting leading the offense to a FG attempt as a scoring drive because the QB doesn't really have control over what the kicker or coaches do. I'm also counting getting down to the 8 yard line of SUU at the end of the drive as a "scoring drive" because I don't really know what else to count it as. You'll note that I didn't count the missed FG versus Ohio State as a scoring drive -- that's because they started with the ball at the 24, got -1 yards, and then kicked.

So what is my goal here? It's not to bash Blount or praise Luton but mostly just put into context how small of a sample we have so far and illustrate why the coaches might still be interested in deciding which QB is best. Blount has led 9 scoring drives but at least 3 of those benefited from 40+ rushing yards from Pierce/Jefferson. The first one against Ohio State he hit a wide open Bradford and the second against Ohio State he got bailed out first by Hodgins and second by Jefferson on two long 3rd downs. That is okay! I would even say it's good that we have playmakers that can bail our QBs out and that Blount gave them a chance.... but those drives aren't necessarily a testament to him being a great QB.

Would Luton have made those plays? No idea. But he might have made other plays. On the surface, clearly Luton's stats were worse against SUU but playing without Pierce and without Bradford are clear disadvantages and he had two drives end with a missed FG and a fumble -- neither of which can be attributed to the QB. If the FG is good, Jefferson doesn't fumble, and there's one additional minute on the clock it's possible we are looking at Luton leading 4 scoring drives out of 6 in the second half and the conversation is a lot different.

So at the end of the day, I think Blount has played well enough to earn the start against Nevada. But I don't think the sample is big enough to say he has clearly out played Jake and that's likely why the coaches are still evaluating, especially when Jake outplayed Connor in fall camp. Football is about taking advantage of the opportunity you get and Connor has an opportunity this week to probably take the job for good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News