ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Report Practice #14 Thread

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
The Oregon State football team changed up the venue for their 14th practice of fall camp as the entered the confines of Reser Stadium. It seemed like there was a little extra energy while playing in the stadium as pads were popping and players were giving the extra effort to impress coaches.

Here are the most newsworthy notes from OSU’s first practice of fall camp from inside Reser.

-Cornerbacks coach Cory Hall mentioned to me today that the cornerback race opposite of Xavier Crawford is between Jay Irvine and Isaiah Dunn. This is an interesting development as Shawn Wilson was considered to be one of the players who was going to compete for that spot.

-The Jake Luton-to-Noah Togiai connection is alive and well folks. After not talking about it for a day, we figured it was time to bring it back up as the first pass that I saw Luton throw was a strike to Togiai over-the-middle for a nice gain. It really seems that those two are growing a strong rapport just in time for the season.

-In direct contrast of yesterday’s practice, Ryan Nall received a ton of carries today. Yesterday, Thomas Tyner and Trevorris Johnson were the guys who got the majority of the reps. Today it was slightly different as all four running backs received carries. However, Nall and Artavis Pierce were the first two running backs to receive carries. Pierce wasn’t super impressive today, and several times struggled to break through the defensive line. Today was the second day where Johnson continued to look really really good. He showed his ability to be more than just a running back as he caught several RPO’s from Luton and Darell Garretson that he turned up field for several nice gains.

-Speaking of the defensive line, they continue to prove that this is the year that they are going to break out. Or at least in practice. Today was the 2nd or 3rd day in a row where they d-line was able to get consistent pressure on the quarterback and force a hurried pass. In terms of rush defense, they are also getting better at being able to sniff out running plays and stop the ball carrier in the backfield.

-Switching over to the offensive line, they struggled to open up holes today. I’m not sure what the issue was for them today, but their run and pass blocking wasn’t what it had been several days ago. That is most likely a credit to the d-line, but I’ll keep my eye on it during the scrimmage on Saturday.

-Quarterback stir of the day! Garretson was the best looking quarterback in practice today. He was really in tune with the offense and was very impressive with his cadence and moxy with the hurry up sets. Since Marcus McMaryion’s departure, Garretson has looked like a completely different quarterback, and in a good way. If he continues to play this good, could Luton have someone nipping at his heels?

-David Morris continues to shine from the safety spot. He was with the 1st unit today and didn’t disappoint. His football IQ and maturity are well beyond his years and I’m starting to think that there is a real possibility that he will start as a true freshman.

-Someone who is on nobody’s radar who has been making a ton of plays is Andre Bodden. He sort of slips through the cracks when people talk about the receivers, but he made some tremendous catches and hustle plays in practice today. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets some playing time this season.

-Luton showed his legs today on several plays that broke down. There was one instance where the d-line flushed Luton out of the pocket and he tucked it and turned up field for a 10 yard gain before running into a would be tackle. He’s getting more and more comfortable taking off and running with the ball.

-One of the interesting aspects of today’s practice is that for the most part, it was the 1st team offense vs the 1st team defense and the 2nd team offense vs the 2nd team defense. Prior to this point the Beavers had been mixing and matching and rotating players, but it seems like they are settling into a rhythm.

-The Pac-12 Networks came to visit OSU’s practice and brought Yogi Roth, Curtis Conway, Anthony Herron, and Mike Yam. Based on year’s past, I would assume that the show will be on Pac-12 Network within the next day or two. Keep tabs on Pac-12 Network for those who have it.

Coming up: I’ll be continuing the story on the backup quarterbacks and their fit in Jason Phillips and Kevin McGiven’s new look OSU offense.

Wesley Payne interview

Cory Hall interview

Jaydon Grant interview

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News