ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Report Practice #12 Thread

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
OSU held their 12th practice of fall camp today under sunny skies in Corvallis. Here are Marcus Greaves' takeaways from today's practice.

-Darell Garretson looked extremely confident and comfortable at quarterback today. Its no secret that Garretson has been struggling with his accuracy recently, but today he looked like a different player. What stood out to me today was his deep ball. He landed a perfect pass to Timmy Hernandez and threw a laser he threw to Jordan Villamin. Both passes resulted in a touchdown.

- The defense has been utilizing their quicker linebackers like Jonathan Willis, Wesley Payne, Shemar Smith, and Kee Whetzel on the defensive line in order to bring more pressure and beat the lineman off the ball.

- These quicker defensive sets looked to be working for the better. I was very impressed with the d-line play today. Jonathan Willis looked to be bringing most of the pressure which is a good sign to compliment Bright Ugwoegbu. As a whole the defensive line looked fast and dominant which is something we haven't seen in two years from the defensive line.

- Christian Wallace split reps with senior Kyle White at cornerback today. Wallace broke up three passes that came his way and didn't give any receiver a chance to make a play on the ball.

- Trevorris Johnson looks to be putting up a fight to receive some playing time at running back. Today, he caught a short pass from Garretson and zipped down the sideline for a touchdown. Johnson reminds me allot of former Beaver and current NFL running back Tim Cook. With that kid of size and speed, he's a guy the Beavers will want as a back up.

- Trent Moore finally looks like a true lineman. Before, he was a little slim in my eyes to be a starting tackle. He has put on a good bit of weight while maintaining his athletic frame.

-The chemistry between the receivers and the QB's is at an all time high. Jake Luton and Villamin look like they have been playing together for quite some time. Wherever Luton has to put the ball he will get it there and wherever Villamin needs to be, he will be there.

- Luton was under more pressure than I have ever seen today. The good thing is it didn't phase him. He was moving around in the pocket well and zipping passes. The most impressive one was to Seth Collins over the middle in which he took 55 yards to the end zone.

- Top play of the day: Garretson's pass to Hernandez was a picture perfect play. Garretson put the ball right on the money where only Hernandez could get it. Seeing plays like this shows me that each group is much improved with timing and overall chemistry.

- Thoughts on Offense : Short and sweet for the offense today. The timing and chemistry is at an all time high. The running back group could very easily be the best in the conference. The offensive line has beefed up and look very comfortable. This offense is going to put on quite a show!

- Thoughts on Defense: As I said earlier the defensive line looked like the best unit on the field today. Coach Clune could be putting together something really special and effective. The main idea of the linebackers playing on the defensive line is exposing mismatches. The OSU defense is full of athletic, strong, and quick players. Utilizing their speed will pose a huge problem to almost every team in the conference. Lineman simply cannot keep up with linebackers and Clune looks to expose that.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News