ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Pili is close to an announcement

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
gin6zayvwjcim7umsehg

HONOLULU - - Defensive tackle Brandon Pili plans to make a college commitment at the inaugural Polynesian Bowl on Saturday January 21. And with just days remaining between now and that announcement, he’s trying to catch up with everyone who has recruited him to give his thanks.

“Just going through my mind and thanking all the coaches for giving me opportunities,” Pili said.

The 6-foot-4 and 310-pounder is a true rags to riches story in the world of big-time college football. He previously lived in Alaska and had no scholarship offers. But after a transfer to Westview HS in Portland, Ore., Pili became on of the most sought after defensive linemen on the West Coast. Just months having no scholarship offers, he now holds a nice collection of options, including opportunities to play at schools like USC and Notre Dame.

But with a decision looming for Pili, he says he doesn’t have a list of top schools. And that might because he already seems set on his decision.

“Not really, I just know where I’m going,” Pili said when asked about favorite schools.

Pili also says he’s informed the school he’ll commit to of his decision. And that coaching staff was thrilled to hear the news.

“They were very excited,” Pili said. “Because they’re in need of defensive linemen and they were just excited.”

And while Pili won’t publicly name favorites, he’s only taken two official visits. One was to Oregon State in October and his final trip was to USC on Thanksgiving weekend. He admits that those schools seem to be the two that are still in it for his commitment.

“The coaching is a really big part and then the location, I’m close to home at both of those schools,” Pili said.

Oregon State has been consistently recruiting Pili. In fact, the Beavers staff was first to offer him a scholarship. It came back in September, shortly after his first game for Westview HS in Portland, Ore. Gary Andersen was on the sidelines for that game and watched Pili register double digit tackles in an upset victory for his school.

So now, after months of recruiting, the Beavers have a chance to add a very solid defensive linemen to its 2017 recruiting class.

“Oregon State, it reminds me a lot of home because it’s a small town,” Pili said. “Not too many people and it’s a nice community as well, Coach (Gary) Andersen is a really good coach. So that’s why they’re a contender for me.”

The Trojans came through with a scholarship shortly afterward Oregon State did. Kenechi Udeze visited Westview HS in October and that led to a scholarship offer and an official visit. And that visit to USC certainly impressed this budding star.

“I really liked it on my visit,” Pili said of USC. “It’s a good community and I really like the coaches a lot.”

After Pili makes a commitment at the Polynesian Bowl, he believes he’ll be finished with recruiting. He says he’s not planning to take another official visit but admits it could still happen. He’s not sure which schools would be in contention for that trip but it almost seems like a backup plan in case something falls through with the school he’s committed to.

“We’ll see,” Pili said when asked if he could take another official visit. “Not everything goes as planned all the time and you know, things can open up.”

Although Pili says he hasn’t thought about which other schools he could visit, look out for Ole Miss, Notre Dame or Washington to be potential visit destinations if he does actually schedule another trip.

courtesy of Rivals.com's Chris Swanson

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News