ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Football Camp Odds/Ends

angie machado

BeaversEdge Heisman
Feb 2, 2006
I wanted to keep all of the bits and pieces from this weekends camp series here in The Lodge, just easier to post everything here.
  • Way more participants at the Friday Night Lights Camp than were originally expected. Close to 200 prospects were in attendance, mostly northwest prospects. Chase Cota was obviously one I was watching and while you can see his skill early, he was bothered by a muscle strain. His parents were there, including his Dad Chad who seemed to be having a great time in Corvallis. Chase loves Coach Brennnan.
  • A couple of late arrivals at the camp on Friday were Hirkley Latu, the BYU commit from Kahuku High, and 4-star OL Foster Sarell, a 2017 prospect from Graham, WA (this was the big kid that Geoff saw).
  • Saturday was the Youth Camp for kids kindergarten-8th grade. It is a non-contact camp coached by current players and coaches. I have one son who loves football and so we signed him up along with his cousin. What a fun experience. Coach Andersen was on the field all day and even helped my little nephew when he got separated from my son. Matty was in tears and Coach A was right there to help him out.
  • Not sure what was cuter, the little kids or the players coaching them. Such a great day for these young kids and the Beaver players were so animated and good with all of the campers.
  • I spoke to several of the players and they were all so excited about the direction of the program. Dashon Hunt was there and he told me that Coach Andersen has asked him to be an undergrad volunteer coach. He is still under scholarship and feels great (he has spinal stenosis and was forced to retire). He will continue on with school and looks forward to staying involved in coaching.
  • The word that kept coming up over and over from the players was 'vision'. Coach A and his staff have a very specific vision for the program and they have specific expectations on how they will get there. Accountability is also very important with this staff.
  • Saturday, before the youth camp the Beavers welcomed a contingent from American Samoa who are touring the mainland, including Juliano Falaniko, a 2017 offeree.
  • Sunday's camp was smaller, but a few interesting attendees including Louisiana dual-threat QB Lindsey Scott, Jr. and RB Morris Jackson out of Las Vegas.
More OSU info
  • The AD search is going well. An decision could be made in the next week or two. Todd Stansbury is in the running as are a few others who do not have ties to Oregon State. We will have more on the AD Search this week on Blitz.
  • Hoops recruiting will really pick up in July. The staff is really excited about the direction the team is taking.
  • 12 football players are currently in Utah taking part in a leadership/teamwork training at the Utah National Guard training facility. They are going through basic training in essence. Kammy Delp is one attendee, as is Lavonte Barnett. They will be able to bring this back to their teammates when they start summer conditioning on June 22.
  • Football staff is also excited about the direction the entire dept. is going. Kind of a golden age at OSU right now and they are jumping on the momentum. Heard that they raised substantial funds during the Beaver Nation Road Tour and may start preliminary work on the VFC this summer. The VFC will be nice, but will not be over the top (no need for special rare Brazilian hardwood or Ferrari leather). Washington facilities are being looked at as an example.
  • West side stadium...the renovation is off the table from what I've heard. It will be 'done right' and will mirror the East Side. Great news!
  • New ad campaign to come out this summer. Hearing it is 'great'
  • For the ladies out there, OSU is working on a Women's Football Camp in August, prior to Fall Camp. Stay tuned.
  • The new staff is also reaching out to NFL Beavers and alumni. Nothing official, but it sounds like a meet up will occur later this summer away from Corvallis.
  • Last season 4 suites were empty for the entire season. They have all been filled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News