ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon State and Nebraska -- A Tale of Two Programs (long)

rodin2

BeaversEdge Three-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Apr 13, 2004
First a short comparison for the period 2003-2009, MR’s first seven years, (sorted by best to worst seasons, conference record in parentheses):

Oregon St Nebraska

10-4 (6-3) 10-3
9-4 (6-3) 10-4
8-4 (7-2) 9-4
8-5 (6-3) 9-5
8-5 (4-4) 8-5
7-5 (3-5) 7-5
5-7 (3-5) 5-6

Overall, very comparable records. It was a record that led to the firing and replacement of Nebraska’s coach. OSU fans on the other hand, were generally happy with MR. Nebraska felt entitled to regular runs at the NC; Beaver fans wanted respect and more competitive teams and felt they were starting to see it. I at least believed during this period MR had moved the program to another level of competitiveness and consistency: regular bowl appearances, good bowl record – there were still chinks in the armor, perhaps markers of what was to come, but I felt the program was going in a good direction. I felt MR and staff had taken the program to a point where it was ready, poised to move to a next level. These were the years of Simonton, Jackson, Bernard, Quizz and James. Run-pass balance, impressive upsets of USC, among others. Stuff to build on. As important, Beaver fans were general proud of the character that defined the team, seen as a personal reflection of MR and his values – family atmosphere, MR as character leader, etc. Again some might find chinks – we all recall the firemikeriley.com website, but the overall vibe was a good one. The CW game in 2008 was a crushing experience, but the next year on their home field, there was an “almost” redemption against a very good Duck team. Yet even here there was a soft underbelly: it was becoming clear both programs (Ducks and Beavs) were moving in opposite directions. But overall, satisfaction, a positive vibe toward MR and staff, but with a taste that the program was ready to take a next step, begin to compete at a higher level, and an expectation that it should. I believe these were broadly felt views.

It was about to change.

During the next five years (again sorted):

Oregon State Nebraska

9-4 (6-3) 10-4
7-6 (4-5) 10-4
5-7 (4-5) 9-4
5-7 (2-7) 9-4
3-9 (3-6) 9-4

The record at Nebraska would have made Beaver fans ecstatic, an improvement to a next level, being competitive and now in contention for serious recognition. Yet it was a record that got Bo fired, though it’s legitimate to wonder if a “nice” Bo would have gotten fired – probably not. But what can be said is Nebraska fans still felt their expectations were not being met. They felt entitled to better.

On the other hand, MR and the program had tanked in any number of ways: two horrible losses to FCS teams; a total abandonment of the run game; losing conference records in four of five seasons, etc. OSU fans, including myself, felt dissatisfied and felt change was needed. Speaking personally, here was a program that had been brought to a point where a break-through to a next level seemed possible, yet the program had bounced off this “ceiling” and gone backward. The Alamo Bowl followed by the opening loss to EW the next year was a turning point for me. The Alamo Bowl was a coaching failure, a lost opportunity for a break-through game, lost (IMO) by abandoning the run, especially in the 4th quarter (Deju vu Illinois???), as was the EW loss – a complete failure to be prepared for an FCS opponent. Not only had the program gone backward, it seemed clear ( to me at least) the bar had been lowered on recruiting expectations – high numbers of 2 star recruits signed very early, less effort (it seemed) – perhaps less confidence and lowered visions and expectations – in going after higher ranked recruits, even though on the surface it seemed the program now justified exactly the opposite.

So fans were unhappy and sought change – MR needed to be put on a short leash with clear performance metrics, and, but for a problem with his contract, even replaced.

Aside: Memo to Nebraska – thank you, thank you, thank you!

The reaction at OSU? Fans were unhappy, donors were unhappy, the administration was unhappy (viz Ed Ray’s remarks when GA was hired) – but onlookers questioned whether we had the “right” to be dissatisfied – even coming from some loyal fans. Why? Because this was Oregon State, from remote Corvallis, a tough place to recruit, in a tough conference, with a tradition of weakness over the past several decades that should make them happy with the record notwithstanding any of the above. They had no idea how good they had it, the punditry said. They had no idea how good MR was, he was unappreciated – it was simply hard to be successful with this crappy place. Take off your orange colored glasses, get real. Manage your expectations better. Be smarter fans.

And now we have GA and MR at Nebraska and fans are watching and reacting to both programs and what is happening on the field. As we react, I have a “cut some slack” request. There is annoyance on this site that people can’t get over the past – why bash MR and staff, let’s focus on the future?

Here’s why. It's about respect. Respect for our judgment as fans that things had gotten unacceptable at OSU and a better staff could make them better. Respect for our program that we have and do have every right to expect more than we were getting. And validation that, in the face of so much outside punditry that showed so little respect for these feeling, it was justified, that we fans were actually quite real, quite realistic and reasonable in what we were expecting. Like most, I have no desire to wish MR and his staff anything but good, I appreciate all that he did, but I also feel there needs to be accountability for the trend line of failure we were on and that what Nebraska is experiencing right now validates our dissatisfaction. So let us feel our validation while we take satisfaction in today and what the future holds.

In the face of all this, we now have loyal fans asking us to engage in a conversation about our “ceiling” at OSU. It feels so much like a conversation coming out of the bowels of a history that has questioned our legitimacy. I don’t mean anything personal by this and I respect the loyalty of all those who want to have that conversation, but count me out. No one ever achieved greatness by thinking about the limits on what is possible. I can only say the ceiling exceeds what we have seen so far, and that we can do more and achieve better. That’s where my heart is and that’s what makes me a fan. I just don’t want to think in terms of upper limits.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News