ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting *** Nuggets 8/28 ***

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
Time for best recruiting scoop around! (Insert cliche sentence where I ask you not to share this info outside of the BeaversEdge.com walls here)

-- Nothing too new to report on QB recruiting for the Beavers. Weston Eget has a lot of buzz right now for the stats he's been putting up so far in his senior season, but as I've reported a number of times, the Beavers will be patient moving forward with QB recrutiing. I'm told they're watching and evaluating a handful of 2019 quarterback prospects.

-- Some other positions of need for OSU are offensive line and defensive back. Oregon State does not have any OL commits yet, and I'm told they looking at a number of guys. Patrick Utschinski is high on OSU's board. There are some in-state OL recruits that OSU has eyes on and could receive offers. Also some offensive line recruits in California.

-- At running back, all eyes are still on Taron Madison. I've been reporting for two months or so that he's an Oregon State lean. I'm still hearing this. He was quoted by the Desert Sun saying that he has his mind made up and is just waiting to announce it. I'd be shocked if it wasn't Oregon State.

-- Another RB target for the Beavs is Giles Jackson. He has created so much hype on social media. 2017 saw Bruce Judson as the hype machine recruit. 2018 was Isaah Crocker. 2019 is already Giles Jackson. I am told that Jackson is considering Oregon State, but he's mostly just hyping things up on Twitter. It's unlikely that Jackson ends up a Beaver. I'm hearing Cal or Michigan are the favorites here. I think Michigan will end up passing on him and he'll end up at nearby Cal.

-- I'll have a full article on Friday morning on Arizona-based TE Kyle Patterson, who the Beavers offered in May but cooled off on. After OSU landed Luke Musgrave, they stopped recruiting other TE prospects. But after Tuli Wily-Matagi retired and Noah Togiai suffered another injury, the Beavers are wanting to take a second TE prospect. I think they'll land Patterson as he's looking to officially visit for the Arizona game (which is going to be a big visit weekend by the way). Other TE recruits to keep an eye are on Kaleb Hervey and Skylar Loving-Black. Isaiah Foskey is a pipe dream but has visited OSU before.

-- In a nugget report I wrote in June, I said how Omar Speights was maybe the most solid prospect in his pledge of all the OSU commits. With his move to Corvallis and attending Crescent Valley, he's obviously very, very solid to Oregon State. I've heard Speights is completely happy with his commitment and doesn't care about the recruiting process anymore. Don't expect any drama with him. He just likes to play football.

-- Some team notes... I'm hearing some really good things about some of Oregon State's young players. Defensive ends Bradley Bickley and Keishon Dawkins have shown a lot of promise, as have linebackers Isaiah Tufaga, John McCartan, and Matthew Tago. A source tells me that tight Teagan Quitoriano will grow into a "monster" and offensive linemen Brandon Kipper and Jake Levengood have incredibly high ceilings. Take it for what it's worth but these are good things to hear.

-- Last but certainly not least.... I feel like this year I've been pretty on point with what I've been hearing on the QB situation, which is that Jake Luton, in reality, is head and shoulders better than Conor Blount, Jack Colletto, and the young QBs. With the quarterback battle wrapped up, the vibe here is that Colletto and Blount have good qualities as quarterbacks, but Luton is clearly the best quarterback on the team. I hear that Aidan Willard has a ways to go to become a starter in the Pac-12, and the jury is still out on Jake Dukart. In my opinion, Oregon State has to get some help at quarterback with Luton graduating. All I've heard on Nebraska transfer Tristan Gebbia at this point is that he's looking at Pac-12 schools (he's from California). Getting him would be ideal, as he would sit out this season and be able to compete next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News