ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting *** NUGGETS 4/26 ***

JaredHalus

Jared Halus
Staff
Jan 25, 2016
Hello! This is Jared Halus, new writer here at BeaversEdge.com. Click here for more information from Mike.

It has been a busy few weeks in Corvallis. Between wrapping up spring practice, playing the spring game and hosting recruits, coaches have been working almost all the way around the clock.

Beaver fans are getting hungry for commitment number two to join John Miller, and it is possibly only a matter of time before that happens. BeaversEdge has the latest scoop on a big list of targets that have shown recent interest in the program.

*** DEFENSE ***

The Beavers were the first team to jump in for Walling, and his recruitment has blown up ever since. Pac-12 schools, Ivy League Schools, and Military Academies have all extended offers to Walling, which speaks volumes about his versatility and character both on and off the field. Though his phone has been blowing up, he still makes plenty of time to keep in touch with the Oregon State staff. The Beavers are in a great place right now with Walling Jr.

WHO HE IS HEARING FROM: Oregon State, UCLA, Princeton, Air Force, Utah

IN HIS OWN WORDS

“I was able to make it to the Oregon State spring game which was great, it is always nice getting back to Corvallis. My favorite part of it was probably just catching up with the coaches. I love being able to see them, and seeing them coaching showed me how much energy they bring on the football field. I can definitely tell a difference with the team, they look really good. I am excited to see how their season goes.”

When he is not running track or practicing football, Clark is hearing from a lot of schools including the Beavers. Coach Blue Adams has been handling Clark’s recruitment, and he says it is impossible to not feel the energy from the staff. I expect Clark’s recruitment to pick up a lot in the near future, as he has great size and very impressive film. The school to watch for? Washington. Clark has grown up a fan, and the Huskies will jump right up the list if they extend an offer.

WHO HE IS HE HEARING FROM: Boise State, Notre Dame, Utah, Washington, Oregon State

IN HIS OWN WORDS

“The coaches at Oregon State have done a great job of adapting and showing who they are. When you do that, leadership skills pop up and relationships are made, and that creates bonds. To me, that is how success is driven, and I can see that with this Oregon State staff. I can tell coach Blue is a smart man and knows how to get his DBs right.”

Lemon remains committed to Arizona State but is still open to any opportunities. The Beavers are his latest offer and coach Tibesar has remained in contact with him. One edge that Oregon State could have here is that out of all of his offers, the Beavers are the only school that has offered him at his desired position of defensive end. That being said, Lemon is confident in his ability to play defensive tackle if need be.

WHO HE IS HEARING FROM: Oklahoma, Arizona State, Nebraska, Oregon State

IN HIS OWN WORDS

“The main thing coach Tibs is telling me is to finish strong in the classroom. Everybody is recruiting me to play defensive tackle, and he is the one coach that is recruiting me to play the position that I want to play. I am open to playing any position, though. Playing time is playing time.”

April has been a blur for Keneley, who has added seven new schools to his offer list since the first of the month. Between school, talking to new coaches, and sports, Keneley hasn’t had much time to let it soak in. The good news here for OSU is that Keneley’s high school teammates Akili Arnold and Jojo Forest are signed with the Beavers, so the coaches will definitely have their help recruiting Lance. We will have more on him soon.

WHO HE IS HEARING FROM: Utah, Vanderbilt, Kansas State, Oregon State

IN HIS OWN WORDS

“We (Keneley, Arnold and Forest) have had a couple conversations about it. I am kind of busy with my practice schedule and stuff so we haven’t had a chance to sit down and talk, but any time we pass each other we talk about it and they tell me how great the school is and how much they like it.”

*** OFFENSE ***

Beason remains a top priority for the Beavers, and coach Hynson reaffirmed that yesterday by making the trip to Texas to see him. The Dallas, Texas receiver doesn’t plan on dragging out his recruiting process for too long and has an official visit planned at Oregon State in May. He had previously told BeaversEdge that it would be May 10, but he told me this week that it would be the weekend of May 16. We will double check on this... The biggest factor for Beason is feeling like he fits in well, and the coaches are doing a good job making him feel just that by maintaining a great relationship.

WHO HE IS HEARING FROM: Oregon State, Utah, Illinois,

IN HIS OWN WORDS

“It meant a lot that the coaches would come all the way to Texas just to come look at me. It really shows that they care and are interested in me.”

During my time covering recruiting, I have not heard a lot of stories like Finney’s. Today, Finney holds three division one offers from Oregon State, Nevada and Fresno State. Flash back to the beginning of 2019, and Finney was compiling his first highlight tape, completely unaware of what was coming for him. It’s no surprise, though, as the six-foot-seven, 270 pound offensive tackle has size that is hard not to like.

One thing I have noticed quickly is that Oregon State is doing a good job discovering some really solid under-the-radar players in the 2020 class, and Finney is a great example of that. An official visit is in the works for him but nothing is set in stone just yet.

WHO HE IS HEARING FROM: Oregon State, Nevada, Fresno State

IN HIS OWN WORDS

“I talk to the coaches at least once a week, if not more. Usually it is coach Wozniak, and he really likes the way I play and thinks I would be a great fit. I always love getting positive feedback from them. I am just excited to see where this all goes with them and whoever else in the future.”

The Beavers are the latest offer for Fina as of April 17th. Coach Michalczick has been handling Fina’s recruitment, and has been very active with him throughout the first week of having an offer. On Thursday, coach Michalczick made the trip to Tucson, Arizona to watch Fina’s spring practice and weight-lifting session. They are still looking at dates, but Fina says a visit to Corvallis could happen in the near future.

WHO HE IS HEARING FROM: UCLA, USC, Oregon State, Arizona

IN HIS OWN WORDS

“I was happy that they came to see me. It went really well and it was incredibly flattering that they came all this way. We got on the phone and talked about where Oregon State is headed, where he sees me in the program, his history as a coach and the history of the program. I do like that it is a relatively new coaching staff, and that in the past they have proven they can be a really good program. I feel like the staff knows what to do moving forward to make them a championship team.”

The Beavs were the first Pac-12 offer for Filkins, and for that he is endlessly thankful. If you are looking for a kid who has great character, is a great student, and a playmaker on the football field, Filkins is your guy. After a 25 minute conversation with him, I have a feeling that this one will come down to Oregon State and the other school in Oregon. We will have a feature on Filkins soon.

WHO HE IS HEARING FROM: Oregon State, Oregon, UC Davis, Utah State

IN HIS OWN WORDS

“I am really starting to build a really good relationship with the coaches and coach Smith. I have a really good feel for campus and how it feels down there. It has just been really good, and I really appreciate all the effort they have made to establish that relationship.”

West is likely on the verge of blowing up and is gaining interest from a good number of Pac-12 schools. Oregon State stays in contact with West on a daily basis and are putting the full-court press on him in hopes of a verbal commitment in the near future. As it stands, that is not out of the realm of possibilities.

WHO HE IS HEARING FROM: Oregon State, Vanderbilt, Washington, UCLA

IN HIS OWN WORDS

“I visited Oregon State at the end of March and that was awesome. They want me to be a part of the program that they are trying to build and coach Smith is ready to grind. I really like coach Woz and the way he coaches his tight ends, and the campus was great.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News