ADVERTISEMENT

Football *** NUGGETS 12/4 ***

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
- First off, everything I'm hearing about Smith as Oregon State's head coach has been very, very positive. It's a very exciting time in the VFC.

- So let's talk Mike Riley... At first, I was hearing that he was considering taking a job at UCLA and wanted to let JSmith lead the program without having a Riley sized cloud over him. However, Smith apparently really wants Riley back at Oregon State. The capacity will not be as an offensive coordinator, rather an assistant coach or a smaller role. For Smith being such a young coach with no head coaching experience, having Riley around will be very good for Smith.

- Mark Banker -- won't be on staff at Oregon State.

- Trent Bray is getting a very strong look, likely as a defensive coordinator.

- I think KHJ would return to Corvallis as a DC, but doesn't seem like OSU wants to hire him as the DC.

- Recruiting is going well. Smith actually started reaching out to recruits as early as Thursday. I believe Spencer Petras was the first recruit he reached out to.

- The first order of business for Smith is to have in-home visits with all of the commits and lock them down. Then we'll see what targets Smith goes after. I'm really excited to see how Smith rounds out the class.

- Speaking of Petras and locking down the commits, he is planning to take an official visit to Iowa, but that might not happen if his high school team keeps winning. I believe his final game would be 12/16 if they keep winning.

-12/8 is going to be a huge official visit weekend. Should be all of the commits that have yet to officially visit... I'll have a list as things start to get finalized.

- Brent Brennan is trying to poach Oregon State LB commit Craig Francois. I'm not worried that Francois flips. Once he takes his official to OSU (should be this weekend) he'll be locked in.

- One commit that Oregon State has yet to talk to is Texas WR Cameron Thomas. As I reported during the coaching search, the plan for OSU was to honor all commitments under the Hall/Andersen regime. We'll see if that actually happens. I imagine it will. But it's interesting to me that they haven't talked with Thomas yet. Have they talked to every other commit? Don't know. A lot of them haven't returned my messages.

- Canzano reported yesterday that Dan Van De Riet will be OSU's director of football operations. Read his Nebraska bio here.

- Last but not least, all signs on the Oregon front point toward Taggart taking over at Florida State. This would be huge for Oregon State in recruiting as they can try to poach in-state guys such as TE/DL Teagan Quitoriano, ATH MJ Cunningham, and OL Dawson Jaramillo. TE Spencer Webb would be a guy to keep an eye on too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News