ADVERTISEMENT

*** Monday night chat -- RECAP POSTED ***

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks everyone who joined the chat Monday night. If you weren't able to make it, view the 9 nuggets below and you can also read the entire chat transcript at the bottom of this post. Reply to this thread if you have any questions about the nuggets.

Please remember that the nuggets below as well as all premium message board information is not to be shared elsewhere. If you do post elsewhere (please don't) and I find out, I will ban you from the message board. Wouldn't be the first time.

1. Where to start... Where to start. Let's go ahead and begin with the new commits Oregon State has landed under Cory Hall. ILB Isaiah Tufaga is a guy that OSU wanted under Gary Andersen and it was good to see him finally commit. He has been a Beaver lean for quite some time. OLB Craig Francois has been on OSU's radar since January and Hall has personally been recruiting him. Keishon Dawkins plays tight end but the Beavs like him at offensive tackle. An OSU source absolutely raved about Dawkins as a guy that has NFL potential. It's actually not that uncommon to see former tight ends in the NFL.

2. I asked a source point blank about some of the offers that Oregon State has sent offer recently -- if Gary Andersen were still the head coach, would the Beavers be offering these recruits? The short answer is probably not. In getting these commitments in a burst, Oregon State is showing to Barnes what the staff can do in recruiting, and it's really all about momentum. Cory Hall and his staff want to be retained, so they're building momentum on and off the field, and these commitments are helping bring on hype.

So is Oregon State reaching on some of these guys? Maybe. But also, these were all recruits that OSU identified early in the recrutiing process. So it's not like they're just grabbing random commitments out of thin air. They wanted to evaluate guys like Francois, Dawkins, and Bradley Bickler to see how their senior seasons played out. The OSU staff has been impressed with those guys' film, and thus the offers. With that being said though, some of the offers are reaches to gain momentum in recruiting.

3. In my opinion, this might be the most interesting nugget... So going back to nugget No. 2 -- OSU is accepting these commitments, but isn't that bad for the kids since a new coach could come in and clean house? Not so fast! What I was told by a source today was that what Hall is doing on the recruiting front is supported by the department. They will honor all offers and commitments done by the Hall staff.

In other words, Scott Barnes will not let a new coach come in and pull scholarships from the committed recruits. I'm told Barnes is involved in the recruiting process and really knows what's going on.... Now granted, if a new coach comes in and really doesn't want to keep a current commit on scholarship, then we'll see what happens when push comes to shove.

4. I reported in September that the ship has not sailed on Oregon State and Cole Turner, and just as I expected, the Beavers are looking to push for the Nevada commit. The reason he committed to Nevada over OSU in August, based on my understanding, was because Nevada told him he would play WR and OSU liked him at TE. On Sunday night, Cory Hall spoke with Turner and re-affirmed that Oregon State still wanted him, and they're now recrutiing him as an athlete. Oregon State will give him a chance to play receiver. My source feels that OSU will continue to push for Turner and will flip his commitment. Keep an eye on this one.

5. So how about future commitments.. Well, I mentioned Turner as a guy I think flips to OSU. It's likely that Bickler pledges to OSU soon.... When Isaiah Smalls tweeted about four silent commits, my understanding is that two of them were Tufaga and Francois, and the other two have yet to be announced. I have a pretty good idea of who they are, but we'll see how things shake out. If Hall gets named the HC, I know one of the recruits will for sure announce for OSU, but I'm not so sure on the other.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I hate reporting on silent commits, but I have to thanks to our boy Smalls. Smalls also tweeted about a 2020 silent commit, which is just stupid IMO. An OSU source told me that they're not pushing for underclassmen recruits but will accept them if the recruits choose to. Also, there is a recruit from Georgia and another recruit from south Florida that I'm keeping my eye on as possible commitments moving forward as well. FINALLY, I've heard there's a 2019 recruit also from the South that's interested in committing to OSU. So to recap: lots of kids are #HALLin.

6. On Gary Andersen... A lot of people have talked about how he did Oregon State such a favor by leaving the buyout money on the table, but that's not the whole story. I was told that he considered leaving more than just once this year (I don't know the timeframe), but the big factor was - you guessed it - money. It's clear in Andersen's contract that if he would've left on his own volition before 2/21/18, he would've owed OSU between 2.5 to 3 million dollars in a short period of time after his departure. So OSU and Andersen came to the agreement and it really was mutual. I'm also not a contract expert but these are the things I'm hearing...

7. I reported a couple weeks ago that Andy Koch is close to a decommitment from Oregon State, and that is still the case. He has not told the Oregon State staff that he's decommitted although everything from the Koch camp indicates that he's looking at other options. Beavs are definitely still in the race to land his signature. It's just not certain at this point how solid he is in his commitment.

8. Per a source, Oregon State will start recruiting the junior college ranks soon. With Craig Evans being a monstrous disappointment (doubtful IMO that he ever plays at OSU), I'm told that the Beavs will have a priority in recruiting JuCo defensive lineman. 2-3 JuCo D-linemen is what I've heard. Also, Oregon State is considering bringing in a JuCo running back - BUT it depends on Nall/Tyner and who returns to the team. The NFL could come calling for Nall, and Tyner could decide to not return.

9. Don't shut the door on a Jake Luton return this season. It's unlikely but I've heard from the Luton camp that the door is not closed on a return.

ACCESS HERE ---> http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.p...altcast_code=60e1d398bc/width=1200/height=650

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News