ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley V. Bob De Carolis, Behind the Scenes

Blacknorange86

BeaversEdge Walk-On
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2014
Very recently I replied to a thread in which Bob De Carolis was mentioned in a negative light and felt compelled to defend the man given a candid conversation I had with him. I believe that it has been long enough now to divulge this information and that it is important enough to share with the most eyes in a new thread instead of a reply comment for Beaver fans.
https://oregonstate.forums.rivals.c...us-when-a-summer-work-out-was-going-on.16330/

Bob De Carolis...

I sat with him at the loge dinner following G.A's hiring/press day and asked him, "is it true you were blindsided by him leaving like reports have said?" Very candidly, he explained that he learned of the departure just like everyone else, through the media reports at 9 AM. His side was that Mike.R text'd him late at night requesting a meeting 8AM the next morning, BD replied with a unanswered phone call and subsequent voice mail that he was busy with a Parkinson treatment at that time slot. BD assumed that Riley wanted to discuss releasing a coach (mentioned O.C Garretson in particular) from contract and that was an expected/realistic meeting. He literally had zero clue that Riley had even talked to Nebraska and left the athletic dept out high and dry. Usually schools ask to talk to a coach via the athletic dept. I also asked him about G.A. hiring and BD said that they contracted w/ a metrics firm to assess risk V. reward for open and even potential coaches. G.A. was by far the greatest candidate bar-none given inside knowledge about the situation at Wisconsin (D.A. B.Alvarez) and extensive track history rebuilding. Side note, Brady Hoke was a candidate with a unfavorable rating as HC for the program. He said that he was blindsided by the move in a sense, but ultimately not surprised, and that it was how Riley typically operated. He did expand on that saying Mike.R usually operated autonomously from the athletic dept when making decisions and that he was never in danger of losing his job. He did not go further on that other than the obvious that Riley did have a very solid stake given that he resurrected the program after 28 years, played at CHS, prodigal son, etc...

I walked away from that conversation with a different perspective of each person respectively. Riley has a great public perception of a genuinely nice guy, nice guys don't pull that shit unless blessed with "a given." In this sense, OSU. Previously I pointed middle fingers, two of them, at BD for the lapse in OS sports. Both of those have changed. I recognize what BD did, especially the last two years as AD, leaving OS in a great position moving forward with Rueck, Tinkle, GA, and VFC. I wish him nothing but the best at Michigan. President Ray made a move given future returns in Stansbury, and I trust him. Riley, beat the Ducks this year @ Nebraska and you might... might, get my support again. However, I will laugh my ass off if they beat you on a Hail Mary and blown timeout, again. Then shrug in disbelief that the Ucks won.

What are your thoughts on this, does it change your mind about either person, and why?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News