ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Report Defense had the edge on Tuesday

BeaversEdge.com Staff

BeaversEdge Verbal
Staff
Aug 29, 2016
Corvallis, Oregon
By Brenden Slaughter

After playing their best first half of the season offensively against WSU, the Beavers floundered in the second half, and ultimately lost a tight game to the Cougars.

OSU now turns their attention to the Stanford Cardinal. By their definition, Stanford has had a down year so far, struggling to live up to the expectations of being picked to win the Pac-12 by a wide margin. The Cardinal have been inconsistent this season so far, but the Beavers are still treating the Cardinal with a great amount of respect.

“Stanford is always going to be challenging to play,” co-offensive coordinator Kevin McGiven said. “They have a much of smart dudes who play tough and that well coached and very disciplined on the defensive side of the ball. They are very good upfront, and have stout players all over the field. They have been playing really well on defense and some of the more explosive offenses in the Pac-12 have struggled against them.”

Practice Nuggets
  • Conor Blount looked really good today, making several really nice deep throws. I still think Blount might be the best deep ball thrower OSU has at QB.​
  • Tim Cook continued to impress with the 2’s, as Ryan Nall was held out of practice today. He hit the hole with power and speed.

• Blount was the only quarterback that took reps while I was at practice, but Marcus McMaryion practiced fully prior.

• The most impressive part of practice today? The defensive line. In the limited time I saw them at practice today, they did a really good job of pushing the o-line backwards and putting pressure on Blount.

• Paul Lucas was taking snaps at running back today with the second unit. He looked really good as both a runner and a receiver.

• I didn’t see much of the offense today, but when I did, they didn’t move the ball well. The defense definitely had the edge today.
Injury Notes
  • Victor Bolden, and Ryan Nall were wearing red no contact jersey’s today. Nall did not participate in the portion of practice open to the media.​
  • Sean Harlow was also held out of practice today.
Final Word

“I think one of the biggest struggles for us this season has been playing our style of football for four full quarters,” Victor Bolden said. “We have a good first half or a good second half, and we just have to now put it all together. If we do that, we can win more games.”

==================================

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News