ADVERTISEMENT

*** Bend Scrimmage Thread ***

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
Bend Notebook
Another story from today's scrimmage

READ HERE ----> https://oregonstate.rivals.com/news/bend-notebook-more-video-interviews

---

Hear from Oregon State head football coach Jonathan Smith as he discusses the Beavers' Thursday afternoon scrimmage at Summit H.S. in Bend, Oregon.

WATCH HERE ----> https://oregonstate.rivals.com/news/watch-smith-post-bend-scrimmage-interview

More videos

Bend Scrimmage Nuggets
written by Steve Tolleson @HardRockfan1

- First, let me say this. Covering a scrimmage is hard. You don’t get a minute off at any time, there are multiple things to watch, cover, look at, and to analyze. I want to tell you that the work @Brenden Slaughter has been doing is outfreakingstanding. You da man Brenden!

- Jordan Vilamin was on hand today talking with a lot of the players. Good to see him back encouraging the team.

- Summit High School was welcoming and the stands were about half full of people present today.

- The O Line started today with (from left to right) Blake Brandel, Gus Lavaka, Sumner Houston, Yanni Demogerontas and Trent Moore. There were a lot of different combinations but this one was the first unit for today.

- The defense was using several packages today but the 1s appear to be the same as before with a lot of shuffling in the backfield. Cotton played a lot today and took advantage of the time with several nice break ups and tight coverage.

- Jake Luton took reps with the 1’s but so did Conor Blount. Luton got the most time though.

- Coach Smith may name a starting QB on Monday. He would not say who, but he said that he and the staff would watch today’s video and make the final determination and then announce it Monday at his 12:30 press conference.

- The offensive and defensive coaching staff had a very different temperament, as I observed today. I stood on the defensive sideline today while coach Burns, Bray, Legi and others. They constantly yelled, jumped, encouraged, high fived and ran all over the place. I am pretty sure Tibs was in the box; I didn’t see him on the sideline. The defense has mirrored their coaches and they are vocal after every play.

- On the offensive side, coach Lindgren and coach Hynson are always watching, talking and communicating but were nowhere near as vocal as the defensive side. The lone exception of course was Coach Michalczik.

- Coach Smith kept a watchful eye over the practice usually behind the offense. He was constantly watching, analyzing, and talking in his headset. He would occasionally go over to a player and say a few words, but for the most part he was watching, observing and talking a lot in the head set. He is every bit the field general now as he was as a player.

- The defense was stingy on the run today. No rushing TDs and the lone standout today was Hunter Mattson, who broke open a few plays for nice yards. He had eight carries for 61 yards.

- Trevon Bradford took a punt return to the house and showed off some nice moves and speed. His misdirection moves can break ankles.

- Artavis Pierce is running like a man who is carrying the ball for the very last time. He seeks contact and is every bit as hard to take down as he was last year. If our line can give him just a bit of daylight he is going to shine.

- Luton was the best QB today. He had several nice completions to Hodgins, a TD pass to Taylor, and one nice connection to Noah before he was injured. He also is getting a nice chemistry with Isaiah Smalls. Luton directed the offense more today, he was vocal, and moved guys when they weren’t where he wanted them.

- Luton, Smalls, Hodgins and Hernandez spent a lot of time on the sidelines talking. It looks like a good bond is forming with them.

- Blount had some nice completions and made good decisions twice when flushed out of the pocket. Instead of trying to fit the ball into stiff coverage, he smartly threw the ball away.

- Colletto pooch punted and it was a nice kick. Colletto hit Irish once for a good completion but wasn’t active today with his arm.

- Smith commented that they see Jordan Choukair “as a weapon” and they used him often today. He made 6 field goals -- from 32, 47, 48, 52, 22 and 54 yards

- One of my favorite plays today was when Luton was flushed and he found Champ Flemings and put the ball where only he could get it sliding into the sideline for a first down. Tight window, tight spiral and Champ eyed the ball all the way in.

- Speaking of Champ, that guy is fast. He got a few carries and passes and never once shied away from contact. I really hope that he sees the field and houses a ball or 6 this year!

- Jeffrey Manning is looking meaner and meaner and is going to see the field. Love his eyes, love his demeanor.

- Aidan Willard had a head set on today and was actively involved in calling plays for the quarterback on the field.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News