ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Report Beavers face tough task in Browning, Washington

BeaversEdge.com Staff

BeaversEdge Verbal
Staff
Aug 29, 2016
Corvallis, Oregon
By Brenden Slaughter

After playing one of their best games of the season against Utah, the Oregon State defense looks to continue to get even better and improve as a unit. The task will arguably be the hardest all season as the Beavers head into Husky Stadium this week to take on the No. 5 Huskies led by Heisman Trophy candidate Jake Browning.

It’s not the first time this season that OSU will be playing a upper-echelon quarterback, as they played one of the best in Cal’s Davis Webb. The Beavers effectively shut down Webb, and they hope to shut down Browning and find a few weak spots in Washington’s high powered offense.

“It definitely gives me confidence (that we shut down Webb),” star cornerback Treston Decoud said. “I hope it gives my teammates confidence as well. I think they are a good team, but every team in the Pac-12 is a quality team. You see on film a few things that (the Huskies) don’t do well, and if we can get them in the stuff they don’t do well, I think we will be successful.”

Practice Nuggets
  • Marcus McMaryion and Mason Moran took reps at quarterback in the portion open to the media. Just liked yesterday, McMaryion was clearly the stronger of the two. Seth Collins did not take reps at quarterback in our time, but he did yesterday.

• The Beavers were wearing white helmets at practice today, I would be willing to bet that they wear all white against the Huskies

• McMaryion goes through his reads very well. There were multiple occasions where his first and second option weren’t there with the pocket collapsing, and he made the completion. I really like what I’ve seen from him thus far, and I think he has the potential to revive the passing offense for OSU

• Jordan Villamin looked very good today. He ran routes very well and made a couple nice catches.

• Tim Cook again impressed me again in practice today. He hit the hole really hard and continued to run with speed and power. I’m anxious to see what he can do against an elite Washington defense.

• Moran still doesn’t look very good. Yesterday I noted that he struggled with completing passes, and it was the same today. In the two days with the second team offense, Moran hasn’t looked comfortable in the pocket, and hasn’t been able to find rhythm with his receivers.

• Quarterback spin: I think the Beavers won’t miss a beat with McMaryion at quarterback. In fact, it might jumpstart their passing game. However, there is a significant drop off between McMaryion and Moran. As long as McMaryion is healthy, the Beavers will be in fine shape with him under center.
Injury Report
  • Running back Ryan Nall, who reinjured his foot against Utah was in a boot today, and said he is not sure if he will play against Washington.
  • Ricky Ortiz and Artavis Pierce were both in red no contact jersey’s today.
  • Conor Blount, Yanni Demogerontas, Titus Failauga, Jay Irvine, Joah Robinett, Shemar Smith, and Dwayne Williams are all out for the Washington game. Ryan Nall and Ricky Ortiz are listed as doubtful. Artavis Pierce is probable to play.
Final Word
“UW is no different than any other week in this league,” cornerbacks coach Cory Hall said. “They have great receivers, and they are great at the skill positions. We have to understand what our deficiencies are and then we have to work on those things. The Huskies are very explosive, and they can threaten you vertically or intermediately.”

====================

DT Elu Aydon

DB Kendall Hill

DB Xavier Crawford

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News