ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Beaver WBB wins exhibition 95-58

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013

CORVALLIS – The No. 8/9 Oregon State women's basketball team cruised to a 95-58 win over Northwest Nazarene Sunday, in a preseason exhibition matchup at Gill Coliseum.

"There's something about stepping onto this floor in front of these fans that takes things to a new level," said Oregon State head coach Scott Rueck. "I thought we executed well today, and this was a positive step forward. I liked the way they controlled the game defensively. Northwest Nazarene came in with a lot of experience and they were ready to play. Offensively we moved the ball well and I liked our shot selection. I'm grateful to all of the people that came out to support us today."

Katie McWilliams led the Beavers with 17 points and six assists on 7-for-12 shooting from the floor. Fellow senior Joanna Grymek put up 15 points on 6-for-8 shooting, while Destiny Slocum tallied 13 points and seven assists.

Sophomore Aleah Goodman knocked down three triples on her way to 13 points. Mikayla Pivec finished with nine points, while Taya Corosdale, Kat Tudor and Maddie Washington scored eight apiece.

As a team, the Beavers shot 50 percent from the floor, while Northwest Nazarene shot 32.8 percent. Oregon State also held a 59-26 advantage in rebounds.

The Beavers surged late in the first quarter to jump out to a 32-18 lead after 10 minutes. McWilliams paced Oregon State with nine points in the opening frame. OSU extended the advantage to 20 at the break. The Beavers shot 52.9 percent in the opening 20 minutes, compared to 34.4 percent for the Nighthawks.

McWilliams led Oregon State with 11 first half points, followed by Grymek with 10 and Slocum with nine.

The Beavers controlled the game throughout the second half to take the win by 37.

Oregon State will open the regular season on Friday, when it plays host to Cal Poly.

Season tickets for the 2018-19 season are available now. The upcoming year will feature a number of upgrades to Gill Coliseum, highlighted by a center-hung video board. Oregon State will also begin charging for parking next season. For more information on season tickets and the upgrades to Gill Coliseum, click here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Micah7stewart
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News