ADVERTISEMENT

Football Beaver 6-Pack: Heartbreaking. Loss.

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
1. Heartbreaker. I really feel so bad for this Oregon State football team. They've been through so much this season and let this one fall through their fingers. Oregon State absolutely outplayed Stanford IMO, but Stanford was poised down the stretch and made a couple of plays that OSU couldn't make. That's what makes Oregon State a 1-7 team. The last two weeks should have been wins, and you'd be looking at a 3-5 team, but that's just not the case. Really tough game to swallow.

2. Huge props to Hall, McGiven, Clune. First of all, I have much more of a respect for Hall as a head coach now. I've always had respect for him, but now I feel that he is a legit option for the head coaching job. He's a master motivator and helps his players reach their potential. We saw that tonight with some big time performances from guys like Landry Payne, Omar Hicks-Onu, Jonathan Willis, and even Thomas Tyner had a pretty good game.

Coming into this week, the Beavs' best defensive scoring performance was against PSU when they allowed 32 points. Their showing tonight was absolutely fantastic. Props to Clune. For the offense, much credit to McGiven for sticking with the run game and very creative calls. Did he call a perfect game down the stretch? No. But he did a great job tonight against a stingy Stanford defense. By the way, how about Oregon State with formations under center?! That was a very nice surprise.

3. Nall's fumble... 4th and 10. Those were the two big plays that just crushed Oregon State. If Nall doesn't fumble that ball with 2:30 left in the game, and OSU settles for a punt, then they win that game. Stanford had one drive tonight that spanned more than 45 yards, and it happened in the first half. OSU's defense was playing incredible in the second half, and they would've came up clutch. But the Nall fumble was absolutely deflating.

And then the 4th and 10... Right after Nall's fumble, Chryst threw three straight incomplete passes. On 4th and 10, he connected with his receiver with Omar Hicks-Onu draped all over Kaden Smith in perfect coverage. The rest is history. Brutal lost.

4. Garretson is a baller. In ten years, Darell Garretson's career at Oregon State will probably be remembered as disappointing, but I am putting respect on this man's name. He's certainly had some really low points at OSU, but he's a warrior and is playing well in recent weeks. He delivered solid throws and did enough to give OSU the win tonight.

5. No Love lost. Tried to come up with a pun using "Love." Not sure if it worked. Anyways, I was surprised that Stanford held out Bryce Love. If he would have played, I do think this would've been a different ballgame that resulted in a more comfortable Stanford win. Probably around 27-17. Stanford averaged just three yards per rush tonight. I have a hard time believing that OSU would've stuffed Love for four quarters.

6. This team is getting better as the year goes along. This has shades of 2016. Last season, the Beavers had a terrible start to the season but finished strong. Oregon State still has the chance to finish the season strong with a few winnable games. If the defense can continue to play solid, get healthy, and the offense can continue to run the ball, OSU can win a couple of games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News