ADVERTISEMENT

An Open Letter to the New AD

HardRockfan1

Dec 6, 2014
Springfield, OR
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. A new AD gets the opportunity to say "Hey this is a new day, new staff, new everything." So if you were asked to give input, what would you say to Scott Barnes? Here are my thoughts, would love yours as well.

Good Morning Mr. Barnes,

Welcome to Oregon State University. This is a school with a rabid fan base for many of its sports, a hunger for winning, and a passion for doing things the right way. But you weren't hired to maintain the status quo of a powerhouse. We are in build mode. Here are some thoughts about what we would like for you to address:

Visibility
With the hiring of Willie Taggart by the University of Oregon a few weeks ago, digital billboards are blazing all over the state with his name welcoming him. Every day the largest sports talk radio show in Oregon discusses all things Ducks as they are "The Home for Your Oregon Ducks". The visibility that our sports programs, especially our major sports, is minimal. We need to be a constant presence in this state and we especially need to be a force in the major markets. Get us a radio station deal, or create something that gets us constant air time. Run the billboards. Run old fashioned media print. But run it. Get us out there so that all of the alumni can see us, can hear us, and can be proud and want to pick up the phone and buy tickets and want to be a part of it. Many alumni went to school when our football team wasn't that great. Show them how great we are now. Get them back. The more visibility we can get, the easier it is to get them to come to games. It feels like Oregon State is marketing in the early 1980's and it's 2016. We need to magnify and multiply our voice and our clicks. A week should not go by without something in Oregon State Athletics getting visibility. One last thing on visibility. Come to the games but go talk to fans. Last year Coach Tinkle came around to chat with fans as they tail gated before a game. It was awesome! I invite you to do the same, come to all the lots around Reser. What you will find out will be incredible and what you will see is a very passionate, motivated fan base and some great food! Besides, you can get great clicks with pictures of you with fans on your Twitter feed!

Timing
I am sure that you have or will hear soon about the West side of Reser stadium. It is a situation that needs to be addressed. While I am sure that everyone will be coming to you asking about their facilities, Football drives the economic bus. This is a project that will probably cost hundreds of millions of dollars. We get that. Just give us a clue on the timing. Not going to address it until the end of 2018? Fine, just let us know. We have heard the line "this is a situation that is under study by the department and needs proper information before we can make a decision". One of your strengths is facilities. If you need time to raise money, tell us. (money discussion next) But give us a general clue on timing. The completion of Reser is a project that has needed attention for a long time.

Money
We are well aware that money will be the solution for some of our problems. We have watched the Pac 12 and the rest of the country leave us in terms of facilities for their athletes. The Valley Football Center was a great start, but I am sure that there is a lot of work to do to catch up. So when the time comes, go ahead and ask for the money you need and give us a comparison to our peers. For example, if our weight room was 15 years older and was not as good as 10 of the 12 schools in the Pac 12, I will give. If our basketball facilities are in the same situation, I will give. But give me a comparison, a reason to give. If you combine that with the above timing, even better.

Champions
For too long our Football program has been David to Goliath, the Giant Killers, the little brother to our arch rival to the south. Now we have the right coach who is changing the culture. Help us to change our thinking and mindset from a perpetual underdog to a Champion that expects to win. Connect us with the athletes young and old who have gone to greatness. You want money? I would pay handsomely to have a "Champions Dinner" with Terry Baker and a ton of athletes from other sports besides football to tell me how much Oregon State meant to them. Run a campaign for it. We want to be champions. We have been champions, but now it is time to make the big step and BE champions every day. We just need some guidance, planning and talent to realize how special Oregon State is and how we can become a destination for all things sports throughout the country.

Scott, we love Oregon State and I am sure that you will soon see how passionate we are about supporting our Beavers in all sports. We look forward to seeing your work and success as our Athletic Director for Oregon State now and in the years to come.

Good Luck, and Go Beavs!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News