ADVERTISEMENT

A few late Sunday Baseball notes

JPTheBeaver

BeaversEdge Heisman
Jan 21, 2002
Quick OSU thought from Sunday {Spoiler alert... I'll certainly use this in the next article}....

I have to admit that going into the year I was skeptical about Eckert holding on to a slot in the weekend rotation, and his first two starts certainly didn't change my thinking. That said, how good has he been the last three weeks after that slow start?!

After giving up 19 hits in 12 IP his first two times out... 8 hits in 22.2 IP his last 3 starts (factor in the 5 BB for a WHIP of 0.57 his last three starts). The 1.98 ERA in those three starts isn't too shabby either.

Sunday Scores
UA 17 @ UW 7 (UW wins series 2-1)
Kansas 2 @ Furd 6 (Furd wins series 3-0)
Wazzu 2 @ UCLA 11 (UCLA wins series 3-0)
Utah 2 - uo 0 (Utah wins series 2-1) :D
Cal @ USC concluded Saturday (USC wins series 2-1)

Next Weekend (Thurs-Sat due to no games Easter Sunday)
OSU @ CAL
uo @ UW
USC @ UC Santa Barbara
UCLA @ UA
Utah @USU
Wazzu @ Furd

Frankly when doing last week's article, I flat-out forgot we play Portland on Tuesday. So, a couple quick Pilot notes:

Lost 2 of 3 @ Loyola Marymount this weekend - the first series they did not win or split this year.

New UP coach Geoff Loomis - a member of the UP sports HOF as a baseball player - seems to be pushing the right buttons after being hired away from Pacific Lutheran, as their 11-8 record is just 1 win shy of their win total all of last year. Granted the schedule (UC Davis, Oakland, UC Riverside, Utah Valley, LMU) hasn't been a murderer's row -- but considering how bad the Pilots were the last few seasons, they're making definite progress thus far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News