ADVERTISEMENT

Football Spring Football Content Hub Day 3 (3/9)

Brenden Slaughter

BeaversEdge Heisman
Staff
Aug 27, 2016
Sherwood, Oregon
Hey Edgers!

Interviews with Keith Heyward, Melvin Jordan, and Jaden Robinson...

Here's today's nugget report, including full first and second-team rotations (as best I could get them😅)

- After spending the first two days of spring football at the Prothro Practice Fields/Merrit Truax Indoor Center, the Beavers took to Reser Stadium for the first time in spring and under Trent Bray as head coach. It was a typical spring day in Oregon, as we were treated to moments of abundant sunshine, blustery winds, and the occasional rain shower.

- While the weather couldn't decide what it wanted to do, that wasn't the case for Bray's Beavers as they had their most intense practice of the spring session, including the most 11-on-11 team work we've seen so far.

- As we noted earlier in the week, there are a lot of rotations going on across the board as the Beavers have a massive number of new faces across the roster. We've got a pretty good idea of what the rotations are looking like, but I also wouldn't put a ton of stock into them until the latter half of spring and into fall camp, right now is when the competition is really going on and I think we'll see a lot of rotations as they figure out which guys fit best and where.

- Starting with the offense, it's really obvious that there will be some fundamental changes in how things operate under Bray and new offensive coordinator Ryan Gunderson. Bray alluded to some of the changes under Gundy that will be happening in the practices to come during our post-signing day Q&A, and with more team action today we got to see a little bit more of what that'll look like.

- Simplifying the offense seems to be the best way to articulate what they're changing... I think there were times when things took too long to develop in the passing game in the past, and that was on heavy display today. All the quarterbacks were getting the ball out quickly, but efficiently.

- The Beavers are also wanting to get their playmakers in space more so than before... I saw more tight end, receiver, and running back screens today than perhaps any practice in the past few years, and I think that's a testament to more of the RPO style of offense they'll be looking to run.

- Now that's not to say that the ground game won't still be the focal point, as Damien Martinez, Anthony Hankerson, and Isaiah Newell looked great today, but I think these changes will bring better production from the passing game. I saw Martinez and Newell catch more passes today than maybe the last two years combined in practices, no doubt they'll have the ball in their hands more.

- DB Kobe Singleton is going to be a really good addition to this football team. Our recruiting staff touted the Liberty transfer as one of the better additions via the transfer portal this offseason, and he's lived up to expectations so far. He had a great interception of Gevani McCoy during 11-on-11 work where he broke on the out route at just the right moment to jump in front of the pass. He'll be a great addition with J-Rob in the back end.

- Speaking of the quarterbacks, as we wrote about earlier in the week, it's looking like a two-horse race at the moment between McCoy and Ben Gulbranson. Until we see Gabarri Johnson, it's hard to place him in the mix. Dom Montiel and Travis Throckmorton appear to be clearly behind that duo early on, rotating with the third and fourth teams.

- Shifting over to the defense, schematically speaking, it's looking like the Beavers will run a very similar defense that we've seen from Bray the past couple of seasons. Players and coaches were mum on some of the tweaks, but it sounds like new defensive coordinator Keith Heyward will have his spin on things too. With three current or former DCs on the coaching staff in Heyward, Bray, and Ilaisa Tuiaki, the defense should be in good hands despite the large changeover in personnel. On the defensive side of the ball, the Beavers look to be re-loading rather than rebuilding in all aspects.

- Showcasing the intensity at today's practice, we had a kerfuffle between Jermaine Terry, Isaiah Chisom, and Takari Hickle. Not exactly sure what started it, but after Terry was tackled there was some pushing and shoving before the trio had to be separated. All ended well with Bray speaking to Terry for a good few minutes....

Standout Players From Today

Running Back Anthony Hankerson - The Colorado transfer caught my eye almost immediately today as he showcased exactly what we thought he'd bring to the table when he announced his transfer.
His ability to make an impact both in the running and passing game makes him an invaluable asset...

Running Back Jake Reichle - Very much like last fall camp, it's great to see Reichle making the most of his role. While he isn't one of the top guys in the pecking order, he plays extremely hard and is always making plays. Case in point with today, where he took tough runs up the middle and to the outside, while also catching some passes out of the backfield and trucking a few defenders along the way. He's added some size to his frame and will no doubt serve an important role throughout spring and fall camp.

WR's Trent Walker & Taz Reddicks - Both guys made some really nice catches today... Walker is pushing to play more while Reddicks is finally getting to showcase himself after not seeing much action last year.

Injury Notes

-
QB Gabarri Johnson remains in a walking boot - it's unclear whether he will see action in spring or if the team chooses to be extra cautious.

- WR Jimmy Valsin was on crutches on the sidelines - not sure of the severity of his ailment.

- OL Tyler Morano exited with an injury, unclear on exactly what it was.

First-team Offense:

QB - Gevani McCoy

RB - Damien Martinez / Anthony Hankerson

WR - Zach Card

WR - Jeremiah Noga

WR - Jamai East / Trent Walker

TE - Jermaine Terry

LT - Tyler Morano

LG - Luka Vincic

C - Dylan Lopez

RG - Nathan Elu

RT - Grant Starck