ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Observations

BlkIsBak10

BeaversEdge All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Alsea/Corvallis
Still no shrubbery or black tarps covering the fences surrounding Prothro so I took a peek...we have entered the era of big boy football folks. A complete changing of the guard and ALL for the better.

Tempo was definitely MUCH quicker, plays were called in and snapped about every 25 secondsThe intensity and want to beat a defender or offensive player was higher than I've ever seen it at OSU. No more going through the motions in each drill, the players got everything they could of out of practice as far as I could tell.Team has a slimmer yet more built look to it as a whole. LB's really look bigger in the upper body.No more allowing QB's to stand tall in the pocket for 8 seconds at a time, plays were whistled dead and it was on to the next play.Individual offensive drills had all QB's throwing to all WR's...meaning each QB and each WR threw and caught a ball each rep. Again, no wasted reps. Del Rio looked ahead of the other QB's, but Mitchell has something about him when he's on the move and out of the pocket. Arm strength down the field is an issue, however.As expected, the defense is light years ahead of the offense. Had about 8 interceptions today, few bad throws, few great plays. Defense was fired up and hootin and hollerin all day. New equipment/practice items around the practice field, stuff Riley and Co. never had and I'd imagine all other D1 programs do have. Little things make the difference.Andersen was focused on the defense mostly, reiterating tempo and intensity in how the kids practice. Angie mentioned...very much a CEO type personality/presence.
This was the most polished, intense, fun, focused practice I've seen at OSU in a while. Granted there are probably a ton of mistakes which will come out on film, but for the first day of spring ball, under a new coach, with all new schemes I don't think you could have asked for a better outcome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News