ADVERTISEMENT

Passing game ceiling

islandballerz

BeaversEdge Sleeper
Nov 27, 2012
We know our run game is going to be our bread and butter with Dame, Fen and Newell carrying the rock behind our oline. But Friday, especially that second half, made me feel a lot better about our pass game. DJU seemed much more in sync and accurate in that second half. Good balls to Irish, Velling and Silas for chunk plays kept us ahead of the chains or kept drives alive. I think these 4-8 yard gains are huge to sustain drives.

In terms of big play potential, teams now have to respect the vertical and horizontal aspects of our pass game. Silas and Gould (if he could catch the ball) are potential instant big plays if they get the ball in space. And I think DJU throws a nice deep ball vertically. He had a dime to Sharp that Sharp tripped or would’ve caught for a long gain. He had other nice balls to Silas and I think #8. He also looks more comfortable with his footwork on play action plays.

Last, I thought Lindgren did a better job with his play calls. He used Velling in the slot and in motion to gain miss matches. I know he hasn’t had a huge game yet, but I think he’s a huge weapon for the team. He also mixed up the pass game with hitches, slants and drags and not so many long developing pass routes we saw against Wazzu.

What do y’all think our passing game ceiling is? I still envision a passing game with TEs in the seams, short game and flats like Boise used to do. Getting Silas 6-10 touches a game and letting him do his thing. If we can get Irish, Walker, #8 or Gould to be dependable options and DJU continues to show the accuracy he did in the second half teams won’t be able to stack the box. If we’re going to score with UW, UO and possibly U$C down the line, the pass game will have to continue to improve. But I feel a lot better after the second halves of the Wazzu and Utah games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News