ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Oregon State Recruiting Nuggets: Halloween Week Edition

JaredHalus

Jared Halus
Staff
Jan 25, 2016
Hey folks! Hope everyone is having a great week and getting ready for another awesome weekend of football (and Halloween).

Most people expect candy when they go trick-or-treating, but I figured I'd give you guys some nuggets instead.

The Beavers are one game away from bowl eligibility and less than two months away from the early signing period, so things are getting pretty serious in Corvallis. I know some people have asked if the staff is done with this recruiting cycle, and the answer to that is no. There is still work to be done. In this edition of our recruiting nuggets I touch on almost all of the commits (If someone isn't mentioned it isn't a bad thing, just that there is less newsy udpates), as well as some uncommitted prospects that I think the Beavs are pursuing and what to expect moving forward.

Hope you guys enjoy!

----------

Hickle Turning Heads

Takari Hickle has turned into one of my favorite recruits in this class purely because of how underrated and below the radar he was when he committed.

There was not a lot of information out about Hickle when he pledge to the Beavs and honestly there still isn’t much, but if you keep up with Following The Future you know that he is looking insanely productive and very athletic, playing a huge role on both defense and offense.
He keeps his head down as well and has paid no mind to any type of recruiting since his commitment, and focusing instead on improving his game. I’m really excited to see what he can do when he gets to Corvallis, and so is he.

This was a great pick up for coach Legi who I think has done a really good job this cycle.

Malaki-Donaldson Gets Hometown Offer

Not that Mathias Malaki-Donaldson didn’t already have big offers when he first committed to Oregon State (Tennessee, LSU, FSU, etc.), but picking up an offer from USC was definitely a big one for him. Westlake Village is not very far from LA, so that opportunity definitely carries a little more weight than the others previously mentioned.

Now, is that weight enough to get him thinking about backing off of his Oregon State pledge?

Right now I don’t see any reason to believe that is the case, but I’m sure the Trojans will keep trying until he signs. USC is obviously a fantastic school and storied program, but the current state of that place is just a mess right now and it’s kind of like an elevator situation if you ask me. Oregon State is the elevator going up, USC is the elevator going down. Which do you want to be on?

Visit Solidifies Things For Throckmorton

QB commit Travis Throckmorton has been firmly committed to the Beavers throughout his recruiting process, and there isn’t anything that’s going to change that. He was in town for the Utah game and absolutely loved what he saw out of the city, the team, the fans, and the students. I do believe that his offer sheet would be bigger if he didn’t commit to Oregon State as early as he did, so this was another good, early find for the staff.

Will have a story with him soon.

The Melvin Jordan Situation

Is there actually a situation here? I honestly do not think there is. At least not right now.

Sure Jordan was out visiting a different school earlier this season, but there doesn’t seem to have been any steam or rumors that came from any of it. Not only that, but shortly after he was back in Corvallis and he has been very pro-OSU on his social media since then.

Obviously he changed his mind a couple times earlier in the process, but I don’t see it happening again.

Martinez The Next OSU Great?

I mean at this point it just looks like every running back that plays for the Beavs turns out to be great.

But in all seriousness, Martinez is that dude. Like Damir Collins, he has that speed and power combination. He won’t be that APB type of guy, but he will be a fantastic TRUE running back for Oregon State in the future.

Having him enroll early is going to be big. I don’t expect any drama here. BIG claps for AJ Steward.

The O-Line

I will honestly say that I wasn’t expecting the Beavs to take four offensive linemen in this class. Nous Keobounnam, Nathan Eldridge, and Korbin Sorensen are the only seniors on the roster at the position, so it is just a bit surprising to me.

That said, I like the guys who they’ve added. Anytime you can pull someone from IMG Academy it is a great land, and Lopez has been all in with the Beavs since his commitment. Elu was a bit of a surprise to me, but I like his size and think he can develop nicely. Vincic and Strand will need to put on a little bit more weight, but I think they have the ability to be good at the next level as well. Coach M has done a good job here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News