ADVERTISEMENT

Nugget Chat - Recap Posted

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
Access here pop out link here (recommended) --->
http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.p...altcast_code=9194c1ff43/width=1200/height=650

NUGGETS

1. Isaah Crocker = Jamire Calvin 2.0?

Last week, I reported that it's mainly a four team race for Isaah Crocker, but it's looking more like a three team race between Nebraska, Oregon, and Oregon State with Alabama being on the outside looking in now.

Crocker is a very media friendly recruit who is always a great interview. In his interview with the Nebraska rivals website, he said how he didn't want to leave Lincoln and nearly committed. If it weren't for his family telling him to visit other schools before committing, then he probably would have committed to Mike Riley's program.

A source tells me that Crocker will likely visit Nebraska once again this fall for an unofficial visit. Crocker plans on officially visiting Oregon and Oregon State, but I do not believe either visit has been set up yet. Crocker has said all along that OSU will get the last visit, and for a kid like Crocker, that might be absolutely huge in determining where he ends up.

My pick for Crocker is going to stay Oregon State, but he is definitely leaning Nebraska right now. A source tells me that he's made it clear to the Nebraska staff that he is leaning towards them.

There are early similarities between Jamire Calvin's recruitment last year and Isaah Crocker's. It's going to be a roller coaster of a ride to follow.

2. OL nugget

I'm really liking where the Beavers stand with 6-foot-6, 290-pound Hawaiian offensive lineman Sione Veikoso. I'm going to try to reach him for an interview soon. A source tells me that BYU and Oregon State are the leaders in his recruitment and a commitment could be coming in the next few weeks. He has yet to take any official visits. I think the Beavers land Veikoso.

3. Official visitor notes

The Beavers are bringing in four official visitors this weekend.

DE Andy Koch
TE Isaiah Smalls

Both Koch and Smalls are solidly committed to the Beavers. Smalls' doesn't have stats that wow you, but he plays for a team that has quarterback trouble throwing the ball. Koch is a really solid get on the DL.

S Isaiah Tufaga (Hawaii)
WR Anthony Spurlock (Lousiana)

I like where the Beavers stand with Tufaga. I think he could commit during the weekend. Same with Spurlock - he's a guy that I've heard wanted to commit a while back. Makes sense for him to visit beforehand.

4. Beavers looking to flip USC commit?

It's possible that Andre Hunt gets pushed out of USC's wide receiver class. They have big fish out there, and if they land the guys that are higher up on their board, then Hunt might be looking for a new school. It's probably a good thing that Hunt is looking to take some official visits then. Oregon State, Utah, Arizona, and Washington State are potential spots for visits.

5. Team Scoop

I posted on Monday that there could be some shakeup in defensive personnel in the starting group - especially at LB and safety.. Time to talk about it a little bit..

- I was told by a source that Jonathan Willis would be moving from OLB to ILB, and our writers saw Willis practicing at ILB today. So that adds up. I'm expecting him to start at ILB next to Hungalu.

Bright Ugwoegbu really struggled on Saturday, and Kee Whetzel has looked really good on special teams and at OLB when he's played in OSU's first two games.

OSU put out their two-deep depth chart today, but I don't think they keep it updated. After all, they had the position "center" misspelled last week and it wasn't changed when they sent us the depth chart again.

So we'll see who runs out there with the first group but as of right now, I think we will see...

OLB: Kee Whetzel, Shemar Smith
ILB: Manase Hungalu, Jonathan Willis

- I heard that David Morris was possibly going to start at safety, but I was told today that Brandon Arnold will remain the starter as of Tuesday. So we'll keep an eye on that.

- Keep an eye on the first team offensive line.. I'm hearing that Kammy Delp will likely start at right guard to replace Trent Moore.

- Before the start of the season, I absolutely loved the corner depth with Crawford, Williams, Irvine, and Shawn Wilson.. Kyle White's emergence has been great, but Shawn Wilson barely played, and I don't think Jay Irvine did play against PSU. Not sure what's going on with the CB group.. Honestly, I'm concerned with the well-being of the group. I'll leave it at that.

6. Couple of upgrade notes...

While in Corvallis over the weekend, I picked up a couple of notes on Gill and Reser. This isn't info that will shock any of you and I'm sure you've already heard.

For Gill, the men's locker room is being upgraded right now and will be ready for the start of the season. I was able to walk by it but didn't see where they're at exactly right now with the upgrade. I'm sure it's going to look sweet.

Barnes has talked about this before, but I was told that there will be a new scoreboard that will hang over the middle of the court.

There is not any official west side upgrade happening, but a source told me during the trip that we might see OSU wait awhile (not sure how many years that would be) and then upgrade both the east and west sides together. If they just upgrade the west side - by the time they'd finish the west side, the east side would need upgraded. Getting the funds for this is obviously something that will need to be figured out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News