ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s Calm Down and Discuss

HardRockfan1

Dec 6, 2014
Springfield, OR
My esteemed colleagues,

Let’s sit down and pour something strong and analyze. Why would Smith go to MSU?

1. Money. Yes coaches can say what ever they want but they keep an eye on who’s making what or their agent does. And yes that matters. But Smith makes 4.85 million this year and with bonuses he could easily make over 5 million. So that means MSU must START the discussion at 6-7 million per year. At a little over 6 million per year that would easily make Smith the 23rd or better highest paid coach in the COUNTRY. He’s good but is he really that good? Not enough data to prove that with one HC gig. But…strike while the iron is hot! So let’s say he does care about that. That doesn’t fit Smith.
2. Starting over with no recruiting foot print. When Smith took over OSU he already had ties all over the West coast. He would have to rely heavily on his assistants and even if he took all of our best assistants, that’s a bigger up hill battle. Why would he do that?
3. Is MSU a better gig? Depends on who you ask. Yes they have the B1G. But getting beat up by Michigan, tOSU, Penn State, Iowa, and others? That does not make sense. Rebuilding again? Doesn’t make sense.
4. Smoke. Yes there’s LOTS of smoke and yes we all know where there’s smoke there is fire. But…..this coaching move just doesn’t….make….sense. Now if we are talking USC or UCLA I’m freaking out.
5. Erickson told Smith “I never should have left Oregon State that early. Don’t leave too early. The track record of coaches that leave UO or OSU stinks. Why?
CONCLUSION
I think this is a well orchestrated and well played move by Smith’s agent to get him and especially the staff more money and they should. Ten seconds after the game is over today other schools are coming after Coach M, Bray and Woz. Bet on it. Now…..Smith IS going to leave us…someday…I think it’s inevitable. But I don’t think MSU is the job he leaves us for.
Disclaimer - of course I could be wrong. This post may not age well in the next 24 hours. If I am wrong act like a BeaversEdge member and not a snide ________like on the other board. If I’m wrong I will own it.
BEAT THE DUCKS!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News