ADVERTISEMENT

Hiring a staff, more exposure, = better coaches and better recruiters. IMHO

jumpdrive

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
May 27, 2006
OK, to begin with, this is not "negative". Just my thought.
Looking at J. Smith, Dan Lanning, and Jedd Fish as examples.

i want to start off with Coach Smith. he started in Montana,(which I had the honor to listen to his pre game talk) then to Idaho where he was there for six years and under three head coaches, then to Boise State, then Washington, and now at OSU.

Now let's take Dan Lanning at Hoergon, he has been at, Memphis, Georgia, Alabama, and Georgia, and the NFL I believe.

Now let's take Jedd Fish at Arizona, he has been at Florida, L A Rams, UCLA, Houston Texans, Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos, Seattle Sea Hawks, Miami, and Minnesota.

You now take a look at the coaches each of these Coaches have hired.

IMHO, Coach Smith has never left the NW and certainly has never been exposed to the NFL, and at only two Schools who have won, Boise State and Washington. He has hired Coaches who he knew from a very small area in the North West. NOTE: Sure the Coaches have the internet to search, but what does that really give you?

Dan Lanning has known many more high profile coaches from better schools and the NFL, and his new staff certainly shows that IMHO. he has coaches who have Coached at a very high level and both in Colleges and the NFL, and they (most) are very highly rated recruiters from around the country and the West Coast.

Jedd Fish has also been around many more highly rated coaches from both the College ranks and the NFL, and it has shown off in their recruiting.

OK, some of you are going to say, OSU does not have the money to hire those type of coaches the other have been able to hire, Well my friends, then the blame is on the President and the A D. if OSU can increase the salaries as they just did, ( to what extent we do not know for each coach) they sure can find money to hire better coaches.

READ THE INTERVIEW OF THE NEW COMMISSIONER to what he says about more money for better Coaches and better linemen !!!!!!

Coach Lanning and Fish have had far more exposure to better coaches because of their times at many schools thru out the US, AND the NFL, and their staff's show it.

i think the small area where Smith has been has limited him to better Coaches and better recruiters..

Again, do not tell me that the internet and interviews (how ever many) works as well as more exposure to many face to face coaches over time will win getting better Coaches and recruiters.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks for allowing me to put this up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News