ADVERTISEMENT

Football CONTENT HUB - DAY 4 (8/10)

Brenden Slaughter

BeaversEdge Heisman
Staff
Aug 27, 2016
Sherwood, Oregon
Hey Edgers!

Practice Highlights (a little shorter today since we didn't get as much time to film)

Jonathan Smith Meets The Media

Hodgins Story

Nuggets:

- The biggest news to emerge from today's practice was the long-term injury outlook for defensive lineman Isaac Hodgins.

- The 6-foot, 274-pound junior suffered a foot injury on Saturday and head coach Jonathan Smith said today that Hodgins recently had surgery on said foot. While Smith didn't confirm which foot it was, he did say that the recovery timeline was approximately eight weeks and that they expect him back this season.

- For the second consecutive practice, the Oregon State football team donned shells (helmets, shoulder pads, and shorts) in anticipation of putting on full pads on Thursday.

- The Beavers will practice one more day with shells on Wednesday to complete the mandatory acclimation process before getting several days in with full pads before Saturday's scrimmage.

- One thing that caught my eye today was the attention to detail in which new running backs coach AJ Steward has in coaching his players. We've obviously caught up with Steward and have seen him in action back in spring, but you can tell he's more comfortable in his role and really thriving in it. OSU's backs really seem to have taken a step forward in the offseason and I'm betting he's a big reason why...

- Secondary coach Blue Adams also caught my attention for a very similar reason as his voice was perhaps heard by both football fields when he was coaching up Ron Hardage III after a missed assignment that led to an offensive gain. Adams is all about tough love when it comes to coaching, so seeing it pay off just several plays later when Hardage made a nice play on the ball is really good to see.

- Defensively, Omar Speights was all over the field today. His talent and ability as an inside linebacker are well-documented, but he looks to have taken a step forward in the offseason. It seems like he's a step quicker out there and there were several plays today where he really laid the lumber.

- Defensive back Alton Julian was also impressive to me today. We got a chance to catch up with him recently and I really like how well he's performed so far this camp. He looks so much more comfortable on the field and in the system compared to a year ago and the physicality he plays with at the safety spot is great to see.

- I really like where tight end Luke Musgrave is at heading into the start of the season. With Teagan Quitoriano still on the shelf, Musgrave has really stepped up and become a reliable target for whomever the Beavers have had under center. Several times during Tuesday's session he was to make very physical and tough catches through contact, while also being able to get out and get downfield as a deep threat.

- Speaking of Musgrave, he seemed to have a really strong rapport with quarterback Sam Noyer. The two connected many times throughout today's session and that's an intriguing storyline that I'm going to be watching closely over the coming days/weeks.

- Speaking of Noyer, he had himself a day out there. He was in rhythm from the first whistle and was about as solid as you could be from a completion % standpoint. He completed passes to well over seven different pass catchers by my count and really seems to be grasping the offense very well. My early impressions here are that it's going to be really tough to not give him the starting gig.

- Tristan Gebbia started the day slowly, but rallied and had a very nice practice conclusion by hitting Zeriah Beason for a 35-yard touchdown catch down the near sideline. He also connected with B.J. Baylor for a big-time gain (40 yards) during 11-on-11 work. Gebbia hasn't been as sharp and in rhythm as Noyer in my opinion early on, but it's still very early and a lot can still happen in the QB race...

- With the media not having a good vantage point to see the practice field opposite of where we watch practice, oftentimes things happen across the field of action that we're unable to see clearly. For example, today, the third and fourth teams exclusively worked on the far field, thus preventing a good glimpse.

- As mentioned above, the third and fourth teams were on the opposite fields, so I didn't catch much of Chance Nolan & Sam Vidlak today...

- At this point, I'd be quite surprised if Deshaun Fenwick doesn't put himself in a position to be Oregon State's starter by the end of fall camp. He's really starting to put it together as far as being a multi-dimensional back that has both speed and power. There was one particular instance during goal-line work where Fenwick took the handoff and fought through multiple tacklers including Jack Colletto to reach the goal line.

- Trey Lowe and Baylor are also not to be slept on in the backfield as well as both guys had several big-time gainers today. Baylor had several nice runs of 5+ yards and also showcased his receiving ability as mentioned above. Lowe continues to be a very intriguing change of pace back based on his lightning quickness and versatility. Whether it's shooting the gaps and hitting a big gainer up the middle or operating as a slot receiver/running back hybrid, Lowe can do it all and I think that'll carve out a nice niche for him this season.

- Another nice wrinkle in the Beavers' offensive plans today was fly sweep! It's always cool to see when it's executed properly and the Beavers have a couple of really good guys taking the reps in Tyjon Lindsey and Anthony Gould. Both have really good vision as ball carriers in addition to having really good speed, so seeing those guys have success with the fly sweep is encouraging.

- In terms of other injury news...

- Defensive back Jaydon Grant continues to be limited to start fall camp as he was on the sidelines today. However, Smith said he expects him to be

- Linebacker Addison Gumbs has also been limited the past couple of practices, but I expect that's simply because the team is being overly cautious with him. Smith has mentioned the importance of steadily getting him back to rhythm since he's been away from full speed for some time now.

Here's a look at the first-team defense:

DL -
Simon Sandberg

DT - Thomas Sio

DL - Cody Anderson

OLB - John McCartan

ILB - Avery Roberts

ILB - Omar Speights

OLB - Riley Sharp

DB - Rejzohn Wright

DB - Ron Hardage III

DB - Alton Julian

DB - Akili Arnold

Here's a look at the second-team defense:

DL -
Cory Stover

DT - Sione Lolohea

DL - Jeromy Reichner

ILB - Jack Colletto

ILB - Kyrei Fisher

OLB - Andrzej Hughes-Murray

DB - Ian Massey

DB - Alex Austin

DB - Jaden Robinson

DB - Wynston Russell

DB - Kitan Oladapo

- A look at the first-team offense

LT -
Joshua Gray

LG - Jake Levengood

C - Nathan Eldridge

RG - Nous Keobounnam

RT - Brandon Kipper

QB - Sam Noyer

RB - Deshaun Fenwick

WR - Trevon Bradford

WR - Tre'Shaun Harrison / Zeriah Beason

WR - Tyjon Lindsey / Champ Flemings

TE - Luke Musgrave

- A look at the second-team offense

LT -
Taliese Fuaga

LG - Korbin Sorensen

C - Heneli Bloomfield

RG - Marco Brewer

RT - Tanner Miller

QB - Tristan Gebbia

RB - B.J. Baylor / Trey Lowe

WR - Makiya Tongue

WR - Anthony Gould

WR - Champ Flemings / Tre'Shaun Harrison

TE - Jake Overman

Fellow reminder to all, I won't be able to make tomorrow's session, but I'll be back on Thursday for the first day of full pads and will also be gearing up to be at Saturday's scrimmage...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News