ADVERTISEMENT

Football CONTENT HUB 3/8 (Smith Interview + Nuggets)

Brenden Slaughter

BeaversEdge Heisman
Staff
Aug 27, 2016
Sherwood, Oregon
Hey Edgers!

WATCH: Jonathan Smith Talks Day 3

NUGGETS

- After the standard two-practice acclimation period for spring football, the Oregon State football team donned full pads on Tuesday. There was a decent amount of 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 work compared to the first "open" practice last week...

- Head coach Jonathan Smith said that Saturday's practice will hopefully be a bit of a mini-scrimmage of sorts.

First-team offense:

LT - Joshua Gray

LG - Marco Brewer

C - Jake Levengood

RG - Taliese Fuaga

RT - Brandon Kipper

QB - Chance Nolan / Tristan Gebbia / Ben Gulbranson

RB - Damien Martinez / Damir Collins

WR - Tre'Shaun Harrison

WR - Zeriah Beason

WR - Tyjon Lindsey

TE - Luke Musgrave / Jake Overman

- It's looking like the Beavers aren't going to give Deshaun Fenwick a ton of burn during the early parts of the spring session. It's not injury-related, but Smith said they're wanting to keep him as fresh and healthy as possible. As of Tuesday's practice, I haven't seen him take a live rep, but he's been dressed...

- As far as the quarterback battle goes, it's mostly been Nolan working with the first team while Tristan Gebbia & Ben Gulbranson have worked with the second team, but today we got to see Gebbia & Gulbranson run with the 1's a little bit. Both made some nice throws today and really seem to be getting back in rhythm after both being out of action for a bit.

- Running back Damien Martinez is definitely a guy to keep an eye on and someone you can already tell has the coaching staff excited. He's physically ready to handle the college game right away and the team has given him some reps with the 1's here in the first few days. He came into Corvallis with a fair amount of hype and I'm liking what I'm seeing from him just a couple of days into his first spring.

- Wide receiver Jimmy Valsin is also another youngster that caught my eye today. He connected with Gulbranson & Nolan a couple of times and really has that size factor in the room being 6-foot-2...

Second-team offense:

LT - Tanner Miller

LG - Cooper Darling

C - Joe Quillin

RG - Nick Suing

RT - Tommy Spencer (we've seen Spencer working with the O-Line for the first couple of days... next time we talk to Smith later this week I'll see what he says)

QB - Gebbia / Gulbranson

RB - Trey Lowe / Kanoa Shannon

WR - Jimmy Valsin / Silas Bolden

WR - Jesiah Irish

WR - Anthony Gould

TE - Bryce Caufield / J.T. Byrne / Malik Kelley

--------------------------------------------------

Switching gears, here's a look at the first-team defense:

DL/OLB - Cory Stover / Drew Chatfield

DL - Thomas Sio

DL - James Rawls

OLB - John McCartan

ILB - Omar Speights

ILB - Kyrei Fisher

OLB - Ryan Franke / McCartan

DB - Kitan Oladapo

DB - Alex Austin

DB - Arnez Madison

DB - Akili Arnold

Second-team defense:

DL/OLB - Stover / Chatfield

DL - Tavis Shippen

DL - Simon Sandberg

OLB - Semisi Saluni

ILB - Easton Mascarenas

ILB - Jack Colletto / Junior Walling

OLB - Ryan Franke

DB - Jack Kane

DB - Skyler Thomas

DB - Ian Massey

DB - Wynston Russell

- During the live 11-on-11 work, linebacker Kyrei Fisher recovered a fumble from Kanoa Shannon in the backfield.

- In terms of creating more pressure in the backfield, the Beavers have certainly made that an emphasis. We've seen some three and four down lineman looks with different personnel on the edges depending on the situation and it really seems early on like the Beavers are trying to figure out some combos that help create a better pass rush.

- Freshman defensive back Arnez Madison caught my attention today as he was getting some run with the 1st and 2nd team defenses, but more so with the 1's. He looked quite comfortable going up against OSU's top receivers and made a couple of nice plays on the ball. He's definitely one of those young guys in the back end who has really nice potential and am eager to see how he progresses.

- Having outside 'backer John McCartan back in the fold is going to be a huge boost for this defense heading into 2022. He's got a knack for getting in the opposing backfield and his length and athleticism allow him to cover space quickly...

Special Teams:

- Punter Luke Loecher has a class conflict on Tuesdays, so Josh Green handled all of the punting duties. He averaged about 38 yards per punt and punted half a dozen times or so during the punt return session.

- In terms of the punt returners, Trey Lowe, Anthony Gould, & Silas Bolden appear to be the leaders in the clubhouse.

Notes:

-
Defensive back Rejzohn Wright wasn't at practice today, but Smith said he was a little bit under the weather and expected him back later this week.

- I didn't catch defensive back Jaydon Grant at today's practice... likely veteran maintenance or a class conflict, but not too surprised the team is wanting to keep his workload low.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News