ADVERTISEMENT

Bye Week Thoughts....

OSUBEEF

BeaversEdge All-American
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2016
Seattle'ish
Well, here we are. On one hand, I'm sure we all wanted to be undefeated going into the bye, but that didn't happen. We are; however, bowl eligible! One interesting (and great) thing I've noticed is that we just became bowl eligible in a very quiet way. What I mean is, we are so focused on our ceiling and our goals for this special season, that getting to win #6 was merely a checking of the box. Normally I never want to look ahead or talk about that, but since it's the bye week I think we can at least talk about it a little.

First, I want to talk about the atmosphere in Reser over the last two games...not so much the first two in which people seemed distracted by the new stadium and really not on our game as a home crowd....but the last two. That place was LOUD for the Utah game...and downright intimidating last Saturday against UCLA. Three picks (one for 6) and all those false starts, I just got the sense that UCLA was overwhelmed by all of it.

That said, we really really need to shore up our run D. This was not an area I thought we would have to worry about. With our stout DL but young secondary, I thought it would be the other way around, especially after that WSU game. I suppose in reality, and this is key: we have to get better all over, both sides of the ball, especially tackling, as we go forward in the season. We MUST.

• I think DJ is getting better every game.
  • I think our running game is as-advertised.
  • Our OL is providing better pass-pro.
  • Velling has emerged.
  • Our WRs are FAST.

Our defense has a chance to become really good, and let's hope they do, before this season is through. We have some ball hawks in the secondary and they are only going to get better. We are going to face some real challenges in the next few weeks. Arizona looks to have found their stride AND their QB of the future. At least they won't sneak up on us, and we can use the bye to really get ready. They are solid, but look....if we are who we think we are, and we want to go contend for the championship, we have to go beat them in the desert. There is no way around it. Same with Deion in Boulder. Despite their recent adversity, CU is still a dangerous team and playing at altitude is never an easy task. They will likely be further demoralized by then after losing to UCLA the week before we roll into town, but we need to be ready for them. I DO like the matchup though, because we can run the ball right at that soft DL of theirs and just own them. Keep Shedeur off the field. Then we focus up on Stanford at home. I am hoping for a 16:00 kick. I love those.

Finally, if all of that happens, and if UW doesn't slip up.....HOLLLLLLY cow what a monumental fist fight that will be in Reser on November 18th. We are talking 9-1 OSU vs. 10-0 UW. That should mean both teams are in the top 7 or so. My thinking about this. We like to talk about teams being "overrated" or whatever. If the teams come into that game with the records stated above, they will both be LEGIT and deserving of their rankings and all eyes will be on us. What an opportunity.

....and there is NO WAY that UW comes into our house and beats us! They have NO CHANCE.

That's all for now. I know I left one game out. Next installment.

-Beef

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News