ADVERTISEMENT

*** 10/19 Coaching, team, recruiting nuggets ***

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
1. We had a thread on this earlier in the week, but I want to reiterate that Seth Collins will not be playing again this season. I was told this by a pretty credible source. He is in line to receive a medical redshirt, and that's what I expect to happen.

2. I was very optimistic throughout the spring and summer that Craig Evans would be just fine to play this season. I had people at OSU telling me that he was going to be fine academically. But then Evans couldn't get it done in the classroom, so he is ineligible for the season. Sure, he's in the student directory, but I am telling you that Craig. Evans. Is. Not. Playing. This. Season. My guess is that it's around a 25% chance he sticks around for next year. He came to Oregon State because of Gary Andersen.

3. I've been asking around to people who, let's just say make a lot, a lot more money than I do, for their thoughts/insight on who Oregon State is looking to hire for the HC opening. Here is one source's thoughts: "Oregon State wants offense and entertainment. Maybe Beau Baldwin. Possible outside shot at Jim McElwain from Florida. Alex Grinch real shot too." Pretty interesting, huh?

4. If you haven't read my story with Vince Guinta from OSU's recrutiing department, then I'm disappointed in you. He mentions how all of OSU's nine commitments have stayed intact, but I'm hearing that one is nearing a public decommitment, and that's DE Andy Koch. I was told that a Pac-12 school reached out to Koch a few days before Andersen left, and Koch said how solid he is to the school, not just the OSU staff. But I guess that's not the reality as I'm told Koch is likely to decommit. We will see and I'd love to be wrong here. A source told me that Cory Hall has spoken with Koch several times since October 9.

5. I thought that Oregon State was primed to flip OLB Victor Terry from Washington State, but he has shut down his recruitment with GA leaving OSU. Maybe the new coach can make a late run at Terry.

6. I love the recruiting class that Oregon State men's basketball has put together. They had a heavy wing class in 2017, and this class is all about the big man. Jack Wilson is committed at the 5 spot, Warren Washington is a 4, and I was surprised that Oregon State likes Kylor Kelley as a 4/5 combo guy. I think he will likely play most of his time at the 5 since he's a 7-footer, but a source tells me that Kelley has a decent shot for a big man and can handle the ball well.

7. Okay, what you've all been waiting for... some more coaching search notes and nuggets. I've been digging for info and talking to sources about some of the top potential candidates.

- Bronco Mendenhall, Virginia HC: I'm told that he is playing a role in Virginia hiring a new athletic director. Virginia is doing well this year and it looks like Mendenhall is locked in there.

- Doug Nussmeier, Florida OC: He has never coached in the state of Oregon, but he's from the Portland area. I heard that Nuss wanted the Oregon job last year, so maybe he'd want the OSU job too.

- Bryan Harsin, Boise HC: Boise State fans are very entitled after their incredible run under Chris Petersen and expect the same from Harsin. Boise fans are calling for his job.

- Scott Frost, UCF HC: Arguably the best candidate out there but it's looking like a real longshot that he comes here. Nebraska vs UCF battle.

- Ken Niumatalolo, Navy HC: A source tells me that Niumatalolo will listen to Oregon State and believes his agent is "shopping him around" which gives reason why Niumatalolo was interested in the Cal job. My vibe here is that people that say "if he didn't leave for BYU, he won't leave for OSU" are wrong. I absolutely believe he'll listen to OSU if they call. He's been at Navy for a long time. He might be ready for a new chapter.

- Jedd Fisch, UCLA OC: I've heard that UCLA fans want Fisch to get the job if Jim Mora gets fired.

- Mike Norvell, Memphis HC: I'm told here that Norvell is not expected to be a longterm guy at Memphis - more of a stepping stone. He is interested in another job in the southeast but not sure about if he's open to OSU.

Reactions: MKBeav and roths#21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News