ADVERTISEMENT

Some Luton love(ish) from the Dawg Pound... kinda

ebbs15

BeaversEdge All-American
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2014
Spokane Washington
https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2019/7/...on-cal-stanford-utah-wsu-luton-garbers-gubrud

Oregon State sucks. Jake Luton doesn’t.
I don’t know if this is a hot take or not, genuinely. (I suspect not?) That’s because Oregon State has been so bad for a minute or two that it feels like they’ve simply ceased to exist, and among this includes the cessation of all takes regarding OSU other than “Remember that time they beat Oregon?” and “lol.”

Regardless of the trajectory Jonathan Smith can put them on, Beav-irrelevance (irrelbeavance, if you will*), means that I feel like nobody’s giving enough praise to a guy who on any other team would be getting a lot more attention.

Ostensibly, there is a quarterback competition between Luton and Tristan Gebbia, the Calabasas quarterback and former UW target who was part of the #Calabraska movement to Nebraska, before transferring out around the time Adrian Martinez** became the guy there. That being said, I don’t mean “ostensibly” from the perspective of Smith. I’m sure in the eyes of the program and coaches that’s genuine. I’m just using that word because, if Luton plays like he has shown he’s capable of when healthy — considering the talent disadvantage he and the entire Oregon State team plays with against their opponents — it’s hard to imagine that a player who couldn’t beat out a true freshman could beat out someone who’s played well (when healthy) and has two seasons of experience at OSU.

Our friendly neighborhood gekko, Chris, wrote that Luton “may be only slightly more mobile than the Statue of Liberty” and, while he’s hardly a dual-threat, I disagree with the extent of that sentiment (although, digressing, the sentence itself does make me giggle). That being said, Chris makes the valid point that OSU’s line was so bad last year that, on the off-chance Gebbia wins the job, it’ll likely be because he has better mobility.

Let’s remember, if it weren’t for Jake Luton’s nearly-Bram Kohlhausen-level comeback***, Oregon State would still have a bajillion-game Pac-12 losing streak.

Pretty much — when healthy — there’s not really any one aspect of Jake Luton’s abilities that’s a big weakness. Typically when a guy has his size and strength (6’7,” 230 lbs), he’ll get praise for “having all the tools” but, if/when a weakness abounds, it’s “he’s not consistently accurate” or “maybe he doesn’t have the mental part of the game down” or some variation thereof. Over the last two years of watching him, neither of those two seem to be true. In other words — he can chuck it Uncle Rico-style over them there mountains, he’s a bit more mobile than Chris gives him credit for, he’s typically quite accurate, and, as far as we can tell from a distance, has a decent football IQ. Isn’t that, like, the stuff football fans and coaches drool over?

To me, his strengths and playing style feels like you could sub him and Justin Herbert on each other’s teams without either Oregon or Oregon State looking much different, save that Herbert’s a more capable runner as a secondary tool.

In fact, playing styles notwithstanding (for example, Khalil Tate isn’t really comparable), I’d go so far as to say having Luton as a quarterback would make every team in the Pac-12 better save Oregon and Stanford who I feel are roughly similar levels — again, when Luton’s healthy. I’m sure by the end of the season a few players will prove themselves and render this statement untrue, the most likely candidates being Jacob Eason, one or both of the LA quarterbacks, maybe Steven Montez if he gets it together, maybe Tyler Huntley if he takes a big step (plz Jacob Eason plz Jacob Eason plz...) but, for now, consistently, there doesn’t appear to be anyone.

But, ya know, this all has the caveat “if he can stay healthy all year.”

*Sorry?
**lol @ Cal you almost had Adrian Martinez
***You’re welcome

Reactions: Micah7stewart
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News