ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Trends: Numbers

Peter71

BeaversEdge Heisman
Dec 19, 2006
I figured since we were talking a lot about offers and commits, it would be good to add a small sample of history to the conversation.

I am just looking at the years Coach Andersen has been closing out classes, so it is a very small sample, but below are the number of recruits before June 1 of the last three years for the whole conference:

Team 2015 2016 2017
UA 6 3 9
ASU 5 3 3
Cal* 4 5 4
Colorado 2 0 4
uo** 4 4 2
OSU* 0^ 3 2
Stanford* 0 4 5
UCLA 2 8 3
USC 6 4 5
Utah 1 1 1
Washington* 3 5 7
WSU* 6 2 5

* = Pac-12 North

^ = Commits may have decommitted with coaching change

BOLD = highest number prior to June 1

(sorry my table doesn't format here)

You get the idea though. If you look at the three year average, the highest number by this time of year is 9, the lowest is 0. The average is right around 4. For OSU, we have never even been at that average. Utah has never had more than one.

So when we look at our current class and the trends, you can see we are basically on in our zone right now with 2. The ducks and UCLA are pretty low, Colorado, Washington and UA are trending up.

The thing is, none of these numbers are super indicative of final standing. UCLA and USC are always at the top 4th of the conference in recruiting and UA seems to regularly start fast and then peter off.

These numbers don't include decommits, but gives us a good idea of where we stand currently with our historical perspective. I know 3 years is a small sample size, but I wanted to be as apples to apples as possible. With the constant coaching changes, it is hard to gauge what is effecting what. UCLA, OSU, USC and uo have had a ton of coaching changes in the last year or two, so there is not a lot of continuity there in terms of relationships.

Anyway, I think this stuff is interesting and figured some others might.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News