ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Report Practice #6 Thread

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
Check out Marcus Greaves' practice report from OSU's 6th overall practice and 3rd practice in Bend.

---

- Jake Luton was named the starting quarterback, the heated battle came to an end today when Andersen announced the news after practice. No surprise here though, Luton looked like he was the main guy after mainly taking the first team reps in every practice.

- Luton was very accurate today with the passing game, the most impressive thing to me was his ability to avoid defenders and land perfect deep passes as he connected with Noah Togai for a big gain.

- David Morris looks like he is making his way up the depth chart quickly. Today Morris and Jalen Moore split reps to see who is going to compliment Brandon Arnold at the other safety position.

- Seth Collins moved inwards to become the new starting slot receiver, this is going to be very beneficial to the offense. Now they have Jordan Villamin and Isaiah Hodgins on the outside and Collins on the inside, which means the Beavers won’t have a receiver under 6’2 which is an intimidating sight and a tough to defend.

- Arex (Champ) Flemings is starting to remind me a lot of Victor Bolden. The young slot receiver may not have the size advantage, but this is the second practice in a row that he has absolutely torched the defense when the ball is in his hands. He has the ability to turn a swing pass into a 90 yard foot race, that he can win.

- Good news for the defense today, the defensive line seems to he much improved. Between Titus Failauga, Kalani Vakameilalo, and Baker Pritchard the D-line wasn't pushed back once. In addition they also looked better with their hands and shedding blocks, which is a huge bright side to a line that was called out by Andersen.

- Marcus McMaryion looked to be taking reps with the second team offense today, he had a great display of passing over the middle numerous times to Isaiah Hodgins.

- Xavier Hawkins seems to be finally putting his talent on display which is exactly what the offense needs.Three times today he took a short pass and burned down the sideline for big gains. It seems the passing game is starting to find its rhythm.

- Ryan Nall has taken very few reps this camp so far, and obviously this is to keep him fresh. Today he was in for one screen play and took it 60 yards to the house with ease. Ryan looks like he’s ready for Colorado State.

- Elu Aydon went with the second team defense today, as he continues to look like he's in better shape. He jumped and knocked three passes down today.

-Overall thoughts on practice: With Luton being named starting QB, the offense can finally focus on Colorado State now that the competition is over. This pick was who I expected to lead the offense, the Beavers now have a true deep threat in the pass game which is exactly what they needed. If Luton struggles though, I wouldn't count out Mcmaryion. We have seen him numerous ties come off the bench and play extremely well. I am excited to see what Luton is going to bring to the offense this season excited to see how this changes the offense.

Gary Andersen video

Coach Chad Kauha'aha'a interview

Hamilcar Rashed interview

Notes from the Gary Andersen interview

- He kind of said that the QB battle was over, but then backtracked and said it will be a continual battle. I do think Luton will have a short leash. Gary showed last year with DG that he'll pull quarterbacks.

- GA also said that there is no clear pecking order (at least publicly) with who is the No. 2 and No. 2 QB. You'd have to think MM is the No. 2 guy though, but then again, DG has been taking more first team reps than MM this fall.

- Montibon is in a big battle with Trent Moore at RT, and Kammy Delp is battling with Lauina at one of the guard spots opposite of Lavaka.

- GA said how well Titus and Baker have been playing. Great to hear.

- GA said that Christian Wallace is a work in progress at corner. GA mentioned Isaiah Dunn, and it looks like Dunn might be above of Wallace.

- Love the starting group for the WR's that GA named... Hodgins and Villamin on the outside, Seth on the inside.

- Brandon Arnold has been taking limited reps but he's definitely the No. 1 safety. Jalen Moore, Austin Hudson, and David Morris are battling for the other safety spot. I'd have to think Moore takes it but the other two guys are solid.

- There's a battle at the ILB spot next to Manase. A lot of guys in that mix.

- Trevorris Johnson is all cleared. GA just said he needs to get in shape.

- GA is impressed with Arex Flemings so far. Marcus Greaves has been too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News