ADVERTISEMENT

Football *** Nugget compilation from spring football ***

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
I had an idea that you all may appreciate. I compiled the nuggets from Brenden and Keenan and organized them by position and have them in order by date. You can only fit so many words into a single post on the board, so there will be several posts of this below.

Also to remember, media didn't get to watch every practice. So the nuggets below are from the seven days we did get to see -- not including the eighth open practice, because that was the spring game.

Hope you enjoy!

*** Quarterback nuggets ***

April 4 - Day 1 (from Slaughter)

- The quarterback derby has begun! Jake Luton, Conor Blount, Aidan Willard, Mason Moran, Jack Colletto, and Nick Moore all took reps today which gives us the impression that Jonathan Smith is living up to his word about all positions being wide open.

- Jake Luton has no medical restrictions and is playing nearly pain free. He noted that he isn’t quite at 100 percent, but that he felt he would be in the coming weeks. I still believe Luton is the frontrunner at the position, but Colletto and Mason Moran really impressed in limited work.

- Reps were limited extremely spread out amongst the QB contenders, so we didn’t get to see if one guy was better than the other in formations, but it appears that Luton is still the guy to beat.

- I was impressed with Colletto’s poise, footwork, and arm strength. He made nearly all the throws today and looked really good for a guy who hasn’t played at the D1 level yet. Keep an eye on him as I see him as a dark horse candidate.

April 6 - Day 2 (from Puncocher)

- It was another day of quarterback carousel with each player getting fairly equal time and reps during the 11-on-11 drills. Johnathan Smith expressed again today that no depth chart is being constructed during week one. He wants the quarterbacks to compete in a competition amongst themselves throughout spring ball and didn’t express a timetable as to when he’ll start narrowing down a depth chart.

- During the 11-on-11 work, Jake Luton took reps first. Luton was able to complete a few passes, including several sideline completions to both Timmy Hernandez and Isaiah Hodgins. Luton scrambled out of the pocket once for a modest gain and again showed no sign of any medical limitations. On more than one occasion, he also called a series of audibles to change the play design. I would say Luton looks like the most complete passing quarterback but is still a little slow on his feet while attempting to scramble.

- The other quarterback rotation was as follows: Mason Moran, Connor Blount, Aidan Willard, Jack Colletto and Nick Moore.

- Today, I would say Willard looked the most impressive and comfortable while under pressure. He had two deep completions to both Hodgins and Connor Laverty of 25+ yards. His spiral is tight and he seems to be throwing with precise accuracy.

- Don’t breathe too much into the rotation, as Smith expressed nothing has been set yet.

Day 4 - April 9 (from Slaughter)

- With one week already under their belt, the quarterback battle is starting to settle down nicely. Jake Luton, Mason Moran, Aidan Willard, Jack Colletto, Nick Moore and Conor Blount all took 11-on-11 reps at one point or another, but the majority went to Luton and Colletto. Luton is still the best quarterback skill wise amongst this group, but Moran and Colletto are right there behind him.

- Luton made the play of the day as he launched a 30 yard ball to Isaiah Hodgins, who made an acrobatic catch to pull it down in tight coverage. This was one of the first times that Luton has reared back and let it fly and he delivered.

- Colletto has shown good and bad throughout his first week of practice, but his work ethic might be unmatched. He was one of the last players to leave practice again and is really working to get more consistent.

Dam City Showcase Nuggets - April 14 (from Slaughter)

- The quarterback carousel continued at Mountainside High School as the Beavers had every quarterback with the exception of Nick Moore take reps. Jake Luton started off the 11-on-11 work and was followed by Conor Blount, Jack Colletto, and Aidan Willard.

- Luton was the best quarterback and the field today and it showed. He ran the offense with poise, precision, and leadership and really took the reigns of the team. Whether it was comforting Isaiah Hodgins after he was dinged up or being the first player in the autograph line, Luton is starting to make his mark on the team as a leader.

- Speaking of Luton, he connected with Kolby Taylor on two touchdown passes late in the live 11-on-11 and really appears to be growing a rapport with Taylor. Luton noted that Taylor is a guy who naturally finds the holes in the defense and that he’s becoming a very good target.

- In a bit of surprising QB news, Conor Blount was the second quarterback to take reps during the live work. I’ve had mixed feelings on Blount since he’s been at OSU, but today was by far and away the best he’s looked in practice in an OSU uniform. He made nearly all of his throws and his scrambling ability was perhaps his most impressive trait. His ability to extend plays with his feet really make him unique in this battle as none of the other quarterbacks can scramble and throw accurately on the run. Blount’s highlight was a touchdown fade pass to Isaiah Hodgins that was 100 percent on the money.

- Colletto and Willard received plenty of snaps, but didn’t particularly impress me. Both guys seemed a little tense today and didn’t seemed to be quite as poised as we’ve seen in regular practices. Colletto was the better of the two today and showed some nice flashes, but it appears this race is starting to perhaps thin out. Monday’s practice will tell us a lot about the position moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News