ADVERTISEMENT

Football ***Monday Press Conference Story***

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
tdqxgildp3y58gywf46k

@BeaverFootball

Oregon State head coach Gary Andersen opened his Monday press conference by stating what many had come to speculate.

Starting quarterback Darell Garretson is out for the season with an ankle injury.

"We never say anything about injuries. The only time that I respond to any injuries is if somebody is out for the season, and that's the case with Darell for the regular season," Andersen said. "The plan for this team is to win at least four of the next six ball games and maybe he'll play in another one [in a bowl game], who knows."

Andersen went on to name redshirt sophomore quarterback Marcus McMaryion as the team's starter for the Beavers' road contest against No. 5 Washington.

McMaryion entered Saturday's Utah game as the third string quarterback behind Garretson and true freshman walk-on Conor Blount.

"We expect Marcus to come in and be the starter this week, without question," Andersen said. "We'll move from there and see what takes place. We have two new starting quarterbacks this week. Our starting quarterback on offense is going to be Marcus, and our starting quarterback on the scout team is going to be [assistant coach] Chuckie Keeton. We'll move from there and see what happens."

Behind McMaryion, Oregon State is very thin at the quarterback position. The only other quarterback on the roster is true freshman Mason Moran, who is being redshirted this season.

The Beavers do have Seth Collins as an option though. Andersen hinted at the possibility of the Beavs' 2015 quarterback and current team leading wide receiver back under center.

"We'll see. Whatever comes our way, comes our way," said Andersen. "Mason will be up there to take some snaps [in practice], you guys [the media] will see that as the week goes on. We've got to get our best guys on the field in the best situation. I don't think it's going to be any surprise attack if Seth plays a little quarterback with what he's done in the past. We'll see where it takes us."

Andersen liked what he saw from McMaryion in the fourth quarter of the Utah game. McMaryion was 5-of-9 for 76 yards and the Beavers' first passing touchdown since September 1.

"It was great for Marcus to step into that setting," said Andersen. "It's not like Marcus has never played, and it's not like Marcus won't prepare. He'll get into the moment. He was out there today [at practice], and he knows it's his team right now. He'll be a leader and take care of his business. He's going to prepare like crazy, and we'll do all that we can to help him."

As a whole though, the Beavers have been awful in the passing game. Garretson is last in the Pac-12 in passing yards (617), and the quarterback who is one spot ahead of him, Utah quarterback Troy Williams, has more than double what Garretson has through the air (1546).

"It's not a secret; we are horrible at throwing the football," Andersen said. "Again, that starts with me. I'm a horrible coach when it comes to throwing the football this year for those kids. I need to try to help them and every coach does and every player also."

The Beavers do have a football game to play this weekend, and with everything going on with Oregon State's injuries, they just happened to be playing the Washington Huskies.

"They're a very good football team obviously - offense, defense, special teams," Andersen said. "They've recruited well there for a long period of time to get the kids that are there. I have much respect for coach Petersen and his staff. I've had an opportunity to compete against them in the past. You know what you're going to get - a football team that's a very difficult team to beat. That's why the have the national ranking where they're at. It's a great opportunity for us to play against another nationally ranked team."

Press conference nuggets
- Andersen was asked if this season's Washington team was the best team he's faced since taking over as the Oregon State head coach and he said "probably." He has yet to watch every play of film from their 2016 season yet, but he is close to finishing it. Andersen called U-dub dominant, physical, and speedy. He's very impressed with the Huskies' QB Jake Browning.

- Andersen noted that the Beavers are very thin at CB and OLB. They can't afford another CB to go down.

- On the defense line, Kalani Vakameilalo played his best game by far, as did Sumner Houston, according to GA. He said that Phil Napoleon was flashy, and Baker Pritchett and Elu Aydon were as good as they have been all year. He said that the OL, DL, and LB were very physical.

- Andersen sees a lot of progress with this team, but you won't hear GA talking about moral victories. He's all about wins and loses, and his expectation is to win every football game.

- Andersen on his players when recruits come on visits: "They're also helping in recruiting. I think they're doing a fantastic job when these kids come on recruiting weekends and being great hosts."

- Andersen said the team has not reacted any different with the QB's going down, and that's what he wants to happen. He does not want to make a big deal about the QB situation. When the Beavs had a change at LG, Andersen didn't make a big deal about that.

- Andersen said everyone is blame for the Beavs' struggles throwing the ball - everyone in the football organization.

- Andersen has really praised his offensive line. He called Tuli Wily-Matagi the "soul survivor" at tight end with Ricky Ortiz and and Noah Togiai out.

- OSU will have to move the pocket when they throw the football against Washington. The Huskies are too good at rushing the passer to sit back and throw the ball.

- Andersen is really pleased with how McMaryion has handled himself this season. He called him a true teammate and said he's a smart kid and a great team guy.

- Andersen said that Oregon State was "bludgeoned" in the special game against Utah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News