ADVERTISEMENT

*** Mailbag 12/28 ***

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
Questions were submitted in a thread earlier this week (click here to see it), and here are my answers. This is a piece that I will do every once in awhile.

We had a lot of players injured and sick this year, do we have an update on them on recovery and if they are coming back? Turnier, Whetzel, Olson, Tuagi, etc....

- I've heard that Kenny Turnier was doing well, but I don't expect him to be back in time for spring ball. Kee Whetzel is fine. I've heard Olson is recovering well, but he's been so banged up over time. I'm not sure what is football future will be. Noah Togaia should be good to go for spring ball.

Also, Darell Garretson might come back for spring ball too. Right now, I think he will be ready.

Is it possible to find out the current thoughts of George Moore? Also, is OSU reaching out to other JUCO OL that you know of?
Here are some prospects I found:

Isiah Moore
Joey Palmer
Jason Linden
Matthew Tanner

Do these guys have any interest?

- I do not know if Oregon State is recruiting those guys yet. If they offer any new JuCo OL guys, then that's how we'll find out who they're serious about. If B-Edgers are able to find a few possible JuCo OL recruits that OSU could land, just imagine how long ago OSU already knew about these guys.

About Moore, I do not like Oregon State's chances right now. More schools are getting in the mix for him during this dead period, and his recruitment will only get hotter.

So all of this is not good news on the OL recruiting front, but I bet OSU has a plan up their sleeve.

Do you think TJ Green will get his 4th Star? I'm kidding...I'm kidding...

- Adam Gorney and the national rivals team watch so much more film and see many more recruits in person that I do - and I'd imagine more than you all do too. Gorney is the best in the business, and I respect him in ranking Green a 5.7 three-star. A four-star recruit is a very elite prospect. Green is a pretty good recruit, but don't forget he plays on one of the best teams in the nation.

Any updates re: new coaching additions? Rumors? And do you think Andersen will wait until after February 1 or try and leverage the new coaches' credentials to help close some recruits?

- I'm keeping my eyes and ears open, but I haven't heard much. I'd keep an eye on what John Canzano has to say about the new coaches. He is usually pretty spot on.

It's key to bring in two new coaches before the dead period ends on January 11. OSU needs all hands on deck on the recruiting front. The new coaches might be able to sway some of their old recruits to OSU if they are Beav caliber.

Is Emony Robinson still coming in January?

- He is supposed to enroll at Oregon State in the 2017 winter term.. I haven't heard much about him, and Oregon State isn't allowed to comment on him yet. I'll post what I hear.

Are beavs still in it for Cotton even though he's a package with Falo?

- Yes. "Package deals" end up being a bunch of nothing when we get this late into the process. Recruits say they are package deals with their friends, but at the end of the day, they want to go to the school that best suits them. If it's with their friend, then great. If not, oh well.

Falo isn't considering OSU, but I like where OSU sits with Cotton compared to where they sat with Cotton during the season.

How would you rank the top 3 factors in a recruit's decision? I understand that every recruit is different but in general.

Example
1. Family
2. Teams status
3. Coach relationship

- Great question. The way I see it, it is...

1. Coach relationship
2. team status
3. family

Family is the wildcard though.. If the recruit has parents that went to the school or a parent that played football at the school, then that always plays a big role. Also, if a recruit has a brother that plays at a school, like how Falo's brother currently plays at Colorado, then that is important as well.

"Commit to a school and not a coach" is a popular saying, but it's relationships with coaches that are easily the most important. And recruit's want to play for winning schools. That's obvious.

Why the hell were you a Hedo Turkoglu fan?

- Turk was a long, lengthy, not super athletic, play-1making caucasian that I wanted to play like when I was younger. The dude was a baller for the Magic. The entire offense went through him, and when he played with Dwight Howard - that's when Howard was at his best.

Anything on Cotton? Lots of Twitter banter going on between him, Hodgins and Manning

- My warning to you all is not to buy into Twitter hype. But in this case, it's interesting because Cotton does have a lot of friends that are committed to the Beavs. It only helps, but I think Cotton ends up at Colorado or Oregon.

For Mike:
1. Favorite music with Top 3 bands
2. Top 3 collegiate athletes (any era)
3. Top 3 NFL athletes (any era).
4. What is the difference in "conference culture" between the PAC 12 and other schools in different conferences?

For Brendan:
Which coach is the funniest?
Which coach is the most intense?
Which players have been the most fun to interview?

- We'll let Brenden answer the questions for him on this thread. Here are my answers..

1. I'm all over the place.. I'm mostly a alternative rock and rock and roll guy.

2. In my era, I'd say Tim Tebow, Reggie Bush, and Cam Newton.

3. Quarterback driven league, right? Tom Brady, Adrian Peterson, Peyton Manning

4. IMO, there's not much difference. If you can play, you can play - no matter where you come from.

Reactions: SCbeavs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.